Jerky Drying Racks

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Mainehunter1

Jerky Drying Racks

Postby Mainehunter1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:36 am

Hey guys, I didnt see a section for cooking what we kill, so I thought I would post this here. I have gotten alot of ideas from various forums and thought I would share my own. I recently bought these Jerky Drying Racks on Amazon and was hoping to use them for some venison jerky this season. I thought it was a good deal so I bought 2 with free shipping. They had a couple of good reviews so I bought them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076LR1BM

I wanted to just keep it simple and use the oven instead of buying a dehydrator. My wife told me I cant use here cookie sheets for jerky so I had to buy my own. Anyone make Jerky in the oven? I will let everyone know how ot comes out.

buckwild

Re: Jerky Drying Racks

Postby buckwild » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:16 pm

I had a dehydrator but gave it away because I like oven dried better. I stick toothpicks through the meat and hang it from the racks. foil on the bottom of the oven will catch drippings. I don't know what kind of directions you have but i set the oven on the lowest setting. I think mine is a little over 100°. then prop the door open an inch or two to help the moisture escape. takes like 5-6 hours depending on the thickness. I squeeze the meat to check for done-ness. you want a little squish. I over dried it the first few batches. even over done it wasnt that bad - kinda like bacon!
Semper Fidelis!

Return to General Discussions