How bad do you want it?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Robert Rowland

How bad do you want it?

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:39 pm

I saw a nice roadkilled buck this morning on my way to work at about 7:30am.  When I drove back by at about 3:00 someone had cut the head off, which is not that uncommon but the deer had also been gutted. I am guessing that someone was desparate for the heart and liver. 

PrairieShadow

RE: How bad do you want it?

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:48 pm

That is illegal here. You cannot p/u roadkill unless you have a permit from a conservation officer.

Where are you located? is it legal?
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:06 pm

I am in Missouri.
I'm not sure how the law would read when it comes to taking parts from a roadkill. I do know that when you hit a deer you have to ask permission from the conservation dept. to take it.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:14 pm

When I was hunting last week I notice a nice roadkill buck directly across the road from our farm.  I figured we'd check it out after lunch in town.  When we got back, someone had already hacked off the antlers and dragged the body into the woods.  I wasn't sure how recent the deer had been killed, or I would have gladly processed it.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:24 pm

It's not uncommon for things similar to that here in WI.  Although, if I am correct, you have to get a permit from a conservation officer as well.  A lot of times, I'm sure people will cut off the antlers without a permit.  I can't imagine everyone gets a permit like they should.  As far as the heart and liver, that's pretty interesting.  Not calling you an intentional liar, but it might have been something you thought you saw.  I'd have to see it to believe it myself. 

There are a lot of bucks dead on the highways around me.  Most of them are younger bucks, but some are mature.  I've driven by them going one place, and a couple of days later on my way home, the antlers have been chopped/sawed off.  Too many people are jealous of someone else's deer, people often go to this length.  It's sad, but true.  Some people might like them for other reasons.  I like my venison, doe or buck with a side of mashed potatoes, not a side of rubber.  

trophyhunter1980

Postby trophyhunter1980 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:11 am

I know in Indiana you have to get a road kill permit issued by a conservation officer or any law enforcement officer to legally posses the animal. 

I guess if I was that desperate for the heart and liver I would get a permit and process the whole animal if the damage was minimal. JMO  
www.facebook.com/badappleoutdoors

NRA LIFE MEMBER

WHITETAILS UNLIMITED LIFE MEMBER

NORTH AMERICAN HUNTING CLUB LIFE MEMBER

Return to General Discussions