Rangefinder, Bang for your buck!

dmcianfa

Rangefinder, Bang for your buck!

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:37 am

I am struggling in deciding on what range finder I should purchase this month.  I was going to go with the Leupold RxIV or the boone and crocket version with TBR, but it is awfully pricy and hasn't gotten that good of reviews.  A friend told me that Bushnells Pro Scout 1000 with ARC is exceptional for the price.  I definetely could use the angle compinsator for out west hunts and archery due to the height I tend to get at in trees 25'-30'.  I would like to have one that can read out to 1000 yds or so.  I never shoot over 300 yds anyway.  Can anyone attest to their rangefinder's performance and its value as a product?
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

dmcianfa

RE: Rangefinder, Bang for your buck!

Postby dmcianfa » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:42 am

Anyone at all got some opinions on their rangefinders?  C'mon someone's gotta love or hate what they got!
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:52 am

I bought one this year. I got a Nikkon 550 for around 199.99 and love it. It fits nice in the hand and is very easy to use. I bowhunt and muzzelload so I really didn't need a 500 dollar one that can range out 800 + yards. I steered away from the really cheap Bushnell (149.99) cause it was bigger and bulkier.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:50 am

A friend of mine has the Nikon 550 and loves it.  Has all the features needed for hunting or htting the golf course!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:08 am

I have the Nikon ProStaff 440 and have no complaints.  Great value for $199.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

deerhunter713

Postby deerhunter713 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:31 pm

I have a Leupold RX-IV, it is an outstanding product.  I have no regrets about buying this rangefinder.
NRA Life Member

The Second Amendment should have been the First Amendment, because without the Second Amendment, there would be no other rights.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:42 pm

I just have the cheap one.. It was like 200 bucks or somthing like that.. It really does the job for me..Cant complain much about it at all..
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:07 pm

I have one of the bushnel cheapies.  it works great for bowhunting and slug hunting here in illinois. 

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 pm

im in the market also. i think ive got it narrowed down to the nikon arhcers choice or the bushnell scout arc 1000... the reason im leaning towards those two is because of the angle compensation..

now i know, some of you that have been on here since i joined probably read some of my posts talking about the angle compensation, using the a^2 + b^2 = c^2 formula and maybe are wondering why im looking at range finders with the angle compensation.. well that formula is great when you know the yardages around your stand and have the time to sit down and figure everything out, but last year i took a new approach to my archery hunting, i still had my ladder and 2 hang ons up, but i used my climber alot and rarely hunted the same tree, if you have the time to do it and an area big enough to do it, it turned out to be a pretty decent tactic, especially in the early season, i always had the element of surprise. i was still hunting, lets say the same 5 acres of woods, but moving my stand locations def got me many more shooting oportunities... using this tactic tho led me to find that my forumla is useless, i didnt have the resources or time to figure everything out at every location.

so ive been going to gander mountain on and off and trying them out. I like the nikon because the numbers are a little bigger and it seems like in a hunting situation, it would be a little easier to use that. only draw back is the range finder is only good to 99 yards, which limits its use to strictly bow hunting... and if im spending $260 on a unit, i think i may want one that i can use for rifle hunting also.. hence leading me to the scout 100 with arc... so far the only draw back ive found is that the numbers are alot smaller compared to the nikon.. had i not used the nikon tho, id probably love the 1000.. it has the angle compensation and its good to 999 yards. plus cabelas has a sweet deal on the 1000.. you get bushnell 10x42 water proof binos and the 1000 for $319.. either way, i think ill be happy, but if you are still looking dmcianfa, thats my input lol

the other thing you have to think about tho when looking at any range finder that can range a long distance is from talking to people that have one, you pretty much have to range a house if you are trying to get an accurate range over 400 yards.. they have said that it is almost impossible to range and animal at any long distance when trying to range off hand

Return to Misc. Accessories