Crossbow recommendations

Bowhunting experiences, the best way to tune a bow -- share your knowledge here!
Sierra

Crossbow recommendations

Postby Sierra » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:33 am

Hi. I am interested in purchasing a crossbow, because I have always wanted to try one, and this is permitted for hunting where I live. I would like to have it for fun to shoot, but primarily for hunting. I don't know many hunters, so I thought I might ask here if anyone uses one and if they have brand/model recommendations. My budget does not lend itself to the most expensive, so I am hoping there might be the crossbow equivalent to my trusty and well-loved Rem 870 out there. (I don't mean specific price, but you know what I mean). But can anyone recommend a moderately priced crossbow or crossbow package, suitable for hunting, for a person new to it? I am hoping to buy it within the next few months to allow for a lot of practice for next season.

Thanks for any direction!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Re: Crossbow recommendations

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:36 pm

I am also in Central Ohio, and I have 2 crossbows at this time. I will be keeping one, and I believe it will be the one I just received from my Father. That leaves a Barnett Demon #150 compound (take down version) with quiver for 6, sling, and pin sight with peep. I have used it for several years, and taken quite a few deer with it.
Are you wanting to go new, or used? If used, let's talk.(privately, there is no buy/sell section to this site)

If new, then I would recommend Horton or Ten Point, because of the higher number of their crossbows in this area, and the higher likelihood of parts being in stock if needed. And techs here are more experienced with them here. Out west, Barnett is the name to know, and they didn't know who Horton was. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:41 pm

My wife also hunts with a crossbow. She has to have a special permit (for now) in IL, but with her Brittle Bone Disease she definitely qualifies. We had picked up a used Excalibur a couple years back for really cheap just to get her into the groove and make sure she really wanted to do this hunting thing. After her first kill last year, she is really pumped about hunting. We bought her a Parker Tomahawk this summer. For $700, we go the bow, a quiver with 4 bolts, rope cocker, RedHot scope with lighted reticle, some Rail Snot (lube for the rail/string), and a nice case to carry it all in. The bow shop owner even had it sighted in to shoot a 3 shot group inside of 2" at 20 yards...

This is not what I would call "cheap", especially since I consider myself to be rather frugal. However, for the ease of use (it fits her smaller frame perfectly, and she can cock it herself with the rope cocker--she couldn't cock the larger excalibur) and the sheer enjoyment of shooting it, it is definitely worth the money. Also, when comparing this same package to other makes, we would have been spending closer the $900-$1000 range.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

unlimitedhunter

Postby unlimitedhunter » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:17 pm

Go here http://www.unlimitedhunter.com/crossbow-packages-1/ to check out models from Horton, Barnett, Ten Point, and Wicked Ridge. There are all different price ranges. You can't go wrong with the recommendations from the other posters, there are just many options some with scopes, some without, just take a look.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks all, that gives me some stuff to think about. You can't know by looking at magazine ads what people really like and use, so I appreciate the direction.

I am not planning to purchase one until after the holidays, (though soon afterwards), since extra money is for presents this time of year and I won't be picking up archery season this year. But afterwards I will be looking, and I am not opposed to a used bow at all if it's in good shape and I can use it and it will effectively kill a deer. :-) Kellory, I will likely message you about yours after the holidays for info.

Also, I am flexible with price since if it comes as a package with things I need, of course I will expect to pay more.

In the meantime the advice helps me look and learn some more, since I have yet to use/try one. It would be nice if ranges rented these to try as they do firearms. Maybe they do and I just have never seen it. Of course, it's been a while since I have been to a proper range since I just shoot outside. I love Ohio. :D

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:20 am

I know that most of the places like Dick's Sporting Goods or Bass Pro Shops will have archery ranges in their stores where you can test fire different bows before you buy them. I think you'd also be hard pressed to find any small business archery shop that won't let you shoot something before you buy it.

That honestly is probably the best thing you could do... just stop by different places, ask them what they've got, then ask them what they'll let you shoot so that you can get a feel for the different brands and models. The bow we ended up buying for my wife was totally different from what I had anticipated buying when we went to the shop....
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:09 pm

I will have to check a new store, the one I went to didn't have anything like that. (Though a neighboring store has a driving range!). That sounds great. :D

Return to Archery and Bowhunting