How many donate Venison?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

RE: How many donate Venison?

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:39 pm

I have my own donation program. I call it "Meat for Pete".

Pete is the Amish guy who has a little farm next to our property. They have so many kids, I cant's keep track of all of them. They live a simply and are of very modest means. They can always be counted on to help me with a project or to look after my place when I am not around. So whenever my freezer begins to get full, I run a load down to Pete and his family and it NEVER goes to waste.

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:49 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

I have my own donation program. I call it "Meat for Pete".

Pete is the Amish guy who has a little farm next to our property. They have so many kids, I cant's keep track of all of them. They live a simply and are of very modest means. They can always be counted on to help me with a project or to look after my place when I am not around. So whenever my freezer begins to get full, I run a load down to Pete and his family and it NEVER goes to waste.

An awesome example of neighbor looking after neighbor. I can only guess how fullfilling it would be to actually know the people you`re able to help.

Whether you have a neighbor in need, or just donate in general, please donate where possible guys. We all could be in need one day.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:05 pm

I donate when I get more deer than my family can use.

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:12 am

I used to donate a couple of deer a year but ever since CWD has been in our area they won't except donations anymore.  Originally the state was paying for the testing on deer but it got too expensive so they quit and so did the pantries.  So now I only shoot what I need.  
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

allthingshunting

Postby allthingshunting » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:01 am

We have four hunters in a family of 6....that means the freezer is usually full way before the season is in full swing.  Fortunately, we have non-hunting extended family members that love deer meat and we also have a butcher shop just down the road that participates in the Hunters Feeding the Hungry Program.  They will except any deer larger than 60 lbs. and do not charge anything, though do like donations to offset some of the processing cost.

Last year we donated 10 deer, kept 5.

Previous

Return to General Discussions