Hunting ages

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Travis Cannon

Hunting ages

Postby Travis Cannon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:34 pm

This is my first post, But do I need an adult to hunt whitetail deer on private land if im under 18?

Deebz

Re: Hunting ages

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:39 pm

that depends on your state... and your weapon of choice.

here in IL I could bowhunt by myself before I was 18, but I could not use a firearm without having a FOID card. I believe you have to be 18 to get a FOID card. Therefore, I would have had to have an adult with me while firearm hunting... I don't believe public land or private makes much difference in those kinds of laws.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:47 pm

Welcome.

Go to your state wildlife website and read through the rules. It differs from state to state. In KY you have to be 16 to hunt on your own and you need to have completed Hunter Education.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Travis Cannon

Postby Travis Cannon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:51 pm

I live in Michigan, I will be using a 12ga.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:48 pm

18? In Michigan? Have Hunter Ed? Go for it.

My only advice is this:
1) Read the rules completely, every page, every year. I've been at this over 30 years. I still read the rules.
2) If you have never hunted before, go with someone. It helps a lot to have that extra person around.

Trust me on both of these. I had a bunch of old-fart buddies who got me into hunting. They were very supportive, but in the end, I started out on my own. In regards to #1: my buddy's memory on what was the current rules on stuff was hazy.
In regards to #2: The first time out, it would have been handy to have a buddy along. The first time I actually killed a deer, I was lucky to be hunting at a friend's house and he showed me what to do after the shot. For all I'd read, and seen, it was still helpful to have somebody standing there telling me what to do.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Travis Cannon, Welcome to the forum.
I caught the "under 18" in your first post. I started several years earlier, myself, but you must follow the rules of your state. Shaman has it right, read that rule book completely, then remember that (at least in mine) it states @" this booklet does not contain ALL rules" So I have my DNR on speed dial as well. They will not mind a bit if you call with questions. In fact, they like it. They like knowing that a young (or old ) hunter is thinking, and showing interest. You help keep them on their toes as well.
A new product came out, and I had questions as to if it was legal or not, and the ODNR had not heard of the new product! Turns out razorheads that project a lazer pointer, are NOT legal here, but I would not have known that until I had ordered them and used them. It is not in the rule book, because they didn't know about it. So, by all means, contact your DNR with questions. ;)
As to your age, even if your age is legal in your area, I would recommend help from an experienced hunter, at least to start. I'm 49, and I hunt with a partner most of the time. It makes the work easier, and we look out for each other. We may hunt in different areas, but we know help will be there if something goes wrong.
This is a friendly group, so feel free to ask for guidance, or ideas. And read the forums, there is a ton of information here. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to General Discussions