Rut sigh starting to show up?

buckfever

RE: Rut sigh starting to show up?

Postby buckfever » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:23 pm

tonight was very loud in the woods, It seems that all the young bucks can no longer control them selves and are chasing hard and relentless!!! I have not seen a mature buck chasing yet though in my area. But I did see a nice 140" with his nose down and scraping his scent everywhere as he was well out of range. It seems the younger bucks and all the chasing there doing has got mature bucks claiming there teritory.    Is anyone else seeing mature bucks seeking and chasing yet????

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:23 pm

yea, i don't know if it's just me or the area or what, but i have seen 0 rut activity so far!!! [:(]

Jawbone

Postby Jawbone » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:37 am

It's been extremely slow here too.  I haven't seen a hot doe yet.  I have only seen a handful of deer while driving also.  This is hands down the most boring rut I've hunted.[:'(]
Let em Go & Let em Grow !!!! (Jefferson Co. , WI.)

buckfever

Postby buckfever » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:14 pm

Saw 2 bucks behind a doe this morning, one was a shooter, couldent pull him off her though. besides that big bucks are slow going right now in marion. trying to hang in there.[>:]

wisconsin_deer_hunte

Postby wisconsin_deer_hunte » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:47 pm

here in northeasten part of wisconsin the beginning rut is just starting. In the last week or so! up near mountain ain't much rut activity yet. but by the end of next week will be huge rutting activty due to the cold weather. We will be recieving the rut at perfect timing for deer season. So for you northeastern deer hunters you will see alot more rutting activty next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:02 pm

I just got done hunting in northern WI oneida county for 3 days and there is no rut activity yet. Havent even found a scrape yet and we did a lot of walking.. Checked the spots that always have scrapes every year and still nothing..

Sat on a 3.5 acre food plot saw ten deer total all does except for one nubby buck and a young 8 point the buck came into the field and didnt check one of the does just feed for 30 mins then left the plot...

Looks like up there we will hit the rut during opening of gun season again. The buck I killed last year was following a doe and his neck was swollen and fresh scrapes were everywhere..

I am able to hunt in both Waupaca county and Oneida county and it always seems that when I start seeing rut activity in Waupaca county I can count on seeing rut activity two weeks later in Oneida county..

Anybody else who hunts multiple counties that are spread out experince this.. In some ways its nice its like getting to hunt the rut twice..

Hudson Buckmaster

Postby Hudson Buckmaster » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:18 am

Well boys, it is cranking up in Hudson now!

Last night had a nice big 8 pointer standing with a doe in my front yard at about 7:00. About 8:00 I almost ran over a little six coming back on 12 from the bow shop in Hudson. (needed somenews fletchings for this weekends hunt)

Then this morning my local six walked thru the back yard about 50 yds out. Nose up, nose, down, nose up, nose down. That was about 7:15. The dogs went nuts.

About ten minutes later they started up again and I thought maybe the same sixer was back. I looked out and crossing in the same spot doing the same thing was a massive ten. Probably 16 to 18" wide. G2's looked to be 8 or 9". Yee Haw! They're coming out now!

Da Buckmaster

Goose

Postby Goose » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Still slow by me in Winnebago county. Saw 5 does and fawns all together walk through tonight. On way there this a.m there was a 2.5 bedded in a field along the road all by himself( he got up and ran off by himself). Hoping this cold front kicks it in high gear.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

wack

Postby wack » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Hunted today in Winnebago county and did see a new scrape, a few tracks in the fresh snow, but didn't see any deer movement at all. I didn't even see the animal that ran into the side of my truck on the way home! Driving along at maybe 50 mph and out of the blue, bang. Hit me hard enough to make me fish tail a little in a 1/2 ton 4x4. Pull over, take a look at my truck and can't believe all the damage!  Dented the back part of my cab,  the top front top corner of my box, down the side of the box, over the wheel well, to the rear back bottom quarter panel behind the wheel is curled under up to the bumper. Judging by the feel, sound, damage, it had to be a big buck running at near top speed. You can see antler dents in the cab about waist high, and top of the box, rear end must have hit behind my rear wheel. Even with the Sheriff spot light we found no trace of a deer, broken antlers, nothing. A few tracks in the snow, no blood, no deer. If you shoot a buck that has teal blue paint embedded into his antlers near Oak hill road in Winnebago county, let me know. It's right side should be tender. lol If you get a Big Foot, check his fingernails for paint. Could have been a mad cow? I'm betting it was a buck and he wanted the secret stuff I got in my back pack! A doe head first that fast to do that much damage would be laying dead in the road. Can't hunt in the morning til the insurance appraiser gets here. 9-12 is the best they could narrow it down. Took the sheriff only 40 minutes to respond, 15 minutes to right it up so I was late for supper again. I would say the rut's getting started judging by the number of deer car crashes. [8|]  
American by birth, hunter by choice.

mtnman

Postby mtnman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:34 pm

The rut should have started around the 13th, with chasing around the 11th. Michigan guns season startign on the 15th, lends better to hitting the rut. We in Wisconsin always seem to miss it by a week or two because of our erratic season start.
Also, last year, the rut actually started arond the last week of October. Great for bowhunters but not for firearms.
(Florence Co., WI)

Previous

Return to Wisconsin