Ruger American Rifle minor issue

Talk about the best guns and ammunition for deer hunting!
WVHills

Ruger American Rifle minor issue

Postby WVHills » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:34 pm

Hey all, first post here, be gentle.

Just got a new Ruger American in .308, sighted it in with Federal Fusion 150 gr. Grouped real nice but, the rifle really gave me a hard time feeding the ammo into the chamber when I threw the bolt forward, down and sometimes when I pulled the bolt back to eject the case. It was real stiff. Had to put more muscle then should be required to jack a shell in and out.

Ruger told me on the phone that it may not like that particular ammo. Guess that could be true, but I would think if it didn't like the ammo the worse that would happen would be a poor grouping, not failure to chamber.

Long story short, bought some Win. Super X and Rem. PSP Core both in 150 gr. and just ran them through some feeding and ejecting actions, seemed a lot better. Haven't shot the new ammo yet though.

Anyone else ever have the proper caliber ammo and have a similar type problem with Rugers American Rifle. Or any other rifle for that matter?
Last edited by WVHills on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jon H.

Re: Ruger American Rifle minor issue

Postby Jon H. » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:58 pm

No, I never had that problem. But it's true, it's best to match the rounds with the rifle. If you think it is still not right! Bring it to a Ruger gun smith to check it out. Ruger might take his word over yours to get it fixed!

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Hiyas. Could it maybe be the tip on your rounds? Sometimes that happens with that. Soft tips and whatnot. Just an idea.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

WVHills

Postby WVHills » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Sierra wrote:Hiyas. Could it maybe be the tip on your rounds? Sometimes that happens with that. Soft tips and whatnot. Just an idea.

Good question and one I did check. I ran one round through feeding and ejection actions multiple times and noticed that the tip was becoming quite sheared on one edge.

At any rate, I think the new ammo will be fine. Just wondered if any had a similar experience.

headstrong

Postby headstrong » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:53 am

Hi;
I'm new to this forum, but ready to chip in. I bought a Ruger American .308 last year and harvested a buck with it , first couple minutes of season.
I used WW 150 gr power points. I am very pleased with the rifle and it's action..and it is accurate. I handload, so will be doing something a bit different this year.
The buck I shot last year was quartering away when I shot him and my processor only found some small remains of the bullet. When I weighed them on my powder scale, there were only 26 grains accounted for, so I am loading Nosler partitions and Hornady interlocks this year. Seeing your problem, I will be especially aware when sighting in..checking the feed.
Pete

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:07 am

The problems described are the reason I will not use Federal ammo. I've never owned a rifle or a shotgun that handle or shoot their ammo worth a damn, which is why I mainly shoot Winchester power points in all of my center fire rifles, and Winchester XX buckshot in all of my shotguns. Federal cartridges seem to have a larger diameter case, softer lead, and their shotgun shells with the recessed lip and the cardboard cap, instead of a crimped shell, create a longer spent shell that hangs up when they are ejected.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:50 am

I was thinking about getting a Ruger American in a 22-250 or .243 Caliber this year,I've read great reviews about them in several magazines and most seem to like the Rugers a lot.

If the newer Bullets give You any problems maybe a lighter grain bullet is the solution or check the tips of other Brands to see which look more streamlined?

Keep Us posted on how it goes with those Winchester Bullets work out!

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:03 pm

There can be a few things that will cause a bolt to get sticky like that. Some are downright dangerous.

A too-hot load will cause the bolt to be sticky on extraction. This is one of the pressure signs you see just before the gun lets go in your face.

A headspacing problem will cause stick extractions. Again, this is very dangerous rifle-turned-pipe-bomb type stuff.

If you believe either of these to be the case, get thee to a gunsmith pronto.

Now for the better news. Brass that is too stiff can cause sticky extractions. As the round is fired, brass case walls expand to fill the chamber. After the gas pressure lessens, the brass should relax enough to allow for easy ejection. In some instances, the brass alloy does not relax and stays expanded. I had this happen with a batch of military surplus 308 brass. I switched to . . . get this . . Federal and the problem went away.

Sometimes too, you'll get sticky extractions from chambers that are not well polished. I had this happen with a Mosin Nagant. The fix was taking FLITZ and loading it up on a bore swab and then turning the bore swab for a few minutes in the chamber with an electric drill. Any light abrasive compound would do the same-- even Crest Toothpaste or baking soda will do in a pinch.

My guess is that this is a combination of a new rifle and the Federal ammo. The latter is solved, as you've already done, by switching to different ammo. BTW: Remington Brass seems to be the least-likely to have this happen-- at least IME. The former can be taken care of by polishing the chamber a little and also putting FLITZ in the bolt lugs and cycling the bolt 100 times before thorough cleaning.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to Guns and Ammo