Number 2

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
buckwild

Number 2

Postby buckwild » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:52 pm

It seems that nature is having a good laugh at my expense because she keeps calling when im in my stand. It is especially cruel because I am usually in my climber. Beating a deer's nose is preached from the hill tops, so what are yall doin to keep from stinkin up the joint? In the past I have abandoned a location because of having to make like a bear in the woods. Lately Ive been diggin a hole but dont know how deep - usually bout 10" down. Ive even dug before I climb if I know I got one brewing. Then there is the technique. trying to keep from contaminating the pants and boots can be tricky. I look for a small diameter tree to grasp to kind of hang from.

I guess the biggest question is knowing if youve wrecked the site for future sits (spelled s-i-t-s)

Any suggestestions for doing?
Semper Fidelis!

shaman

Re: Number 2

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:36 am

Deer could really care less. If anything, they are curious. I cannot count the number of times I've been squatting only to find a deer has come up to watch me. Twice I've been able to take a deer that came up, ran away, and then came back a little later to investigate.

I think deer are like little kids that want to come into the bathroom to see how mommy and daddy do it. I'm dead serious. These are very curious animals. You are doing nothing harmful to your hunt or your hunting place.

You do not have to dig a pit. I prefer to lift up a rock or a log when possible.

BTW: I built an outhouse about equidistant from a few of my stands. I have a place to go when I need a place to go:

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:04 am

Everything you ever wanted to know:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3788

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:07 am

JPH wrote:Everything you ever wanted to know:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3788

YUP! Stock up on vaseline and stick matches!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 pm

I saw some "falling leaves and spice" febreeze in the bathroom at work and it reminded me of this post...

I read the link and googled the topic as well. Seems like the consensus among hunters is that the smell is not (and possibly cannot) be associated with humans. I had heard that about urine, but not feces. Just as a reassurance, does anyone know if there is information out there that has a scientific basis for this conclusion?
Semper Fidelis!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:15 pm

Nothing scientific that I am aware of. D&DH is one of the rare places where you will find true scientific research regarding deer and their behavior (most "science" in deer hunting is tied to marketing), but I do not recall anything on this topic. Too bad really. I mean yes it invites bathroom humor, but it is one of the rare issues that ALL hunters must contend with.

While not scientific, I've thought about and experimented with the question probably more than is healthy. There was a time when I carried my urine out of the woods in a bottle for fear of spooking deer. Now I go out of my way to urinate in scrapes and let fly from my stand with no negative impact on my hunting success. I chose to deal with my bowel issues away from my stands not because the poop will spook a deer, but because the act of climbing down, removing my vest, harness, etc., doing my business and then putting it all back on before climbing up is a disturbance. Again, not scientific, but I've misjudged the timing of BM's and had to deal with them in the vicinity of my hunting area, only to kill bucks within a few hours.

MusicproZ71

Postby MusicproZ71 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Grandpa and Dad always said - "There's something 'bout that country air."

Hahahaha.

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Call me lucky. I've never had to drop a duece in the woods while deer hunting? But if it does, shit happens.

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Have had to go to the bathroom a few times in the woods. Usually just go out of the stand with no I'll effects for a number one. Always carry toilet paper or paper towels with me in case of the other one. Only had to go once out by the stand and it was someone else's. Usually will try to go before or after if possible, been pretty successful so far.

We wear knee high boots where we hunt since its pretty mucky in most areas and sometimes that isn't enough. I complained to a girl once how your hunting clothes when put down don't go past the boots and to make sure you squat low enough to not go on your clothes. She reminded me and felt no sympathy as that's how women have to do it all the time. Failed to grasp that previously.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:27 pm

buckwild wrote:I saw some "falling leaves and spice" febreeze in the bathroom at work and it reminded me of this post...

I read the link and googled the topic as well. Seems like the consensus among hunters is that the smell is not (and possibly cannot) be associated with humans. I had heard that about urine, but not feces. Just as a reassurance, does anyone know if there is information out there that has a scientific basis for this conclusion?

Scientific evidence?

You know, this looks like a job for the Blackhole Institute of Advanced Whitetail Studies.

I can just see Scooter next summer when I start passing out assignments for the coming season. I can see the double blind tests. I can envision going for the grant money. I can just imagine the looks when I go to the Board of Directors Meeting and announce our priorities.

"How many thousands of dollars for Ex-Lax?" They'll ask.

"We need a consistent sample." I'll reply.

They laughed when I told them about the anti-Telepathy hat. They darn near fell out of their chairs when I asked them to fund the DST project. I just can't wait for them to hear about this one.

" . . .But. . . But. . can't you use a substitute?"

"And risk our credibility using mock poo?" I'll reply with indignance.

"But that will take. . ."

"We'll use convicts." I'll reply. "I have Scooter working on the logistics as we speak."

Anyone want to volunteer? I'm sure we can work out a deal for CE credits.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions