Topographical map help???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Imorr5141

Topographical map help???

Postby Imorr5141 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Wondering if some one could help me maybe find a stand location on this map or a place I should look for sign?? Thank you I'm new to this.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (214.27 KiB) Viewed 3426 times

croz2173

Re: Topographical map help???

Postby croz2173 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Go for a nice walk. The area doesnt look all that big and youll learn alot more that way than anything we could tell you from just looking at the map.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:12 pm

Hiyas. I agree with croz. I also have a topo map of where I hunt, and it is helpful, but once I learned it I found I like to use the arial view map even more. Admittedly, I use it to make mental note of what I have already seen by walking the entire property numerous times. (Or more realistically, I have it posted at my desk at work to remind me of the upcoming hunt, and tell people what I saw and where. :-) ) I would recommend grabbing an arial map if you can and take it with you when you go walking the plot and use a sharpie to note what you find. I use a military map case for mine so I always have it with me.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:48 pm

Guys, the question asked was wither we could help or not. Yes.
However, without having any idea what is planted where, what the scale is to your map, depth of water, nut trees? crops? My help can only be limited.
Going strictly by the contours and the water shown, existing roadways, and guessing scale based upon roadway width....I believe points A, B, C , show promise, due to the natural boundary of the waterway, and the steepness of the slope. It should produce a decent funnel.
I would head for C myself, due to the bend in the river will slowdown and shallow the water. More likelyhood of a crossing there. Between the funnel and the crossing (always assuming the deer have some reason /food/bedding) to want to cross.
I'd put a climber up just inside of that point, or if no suitable trees, a pop-up blind brushed in.

Best method IS boots on the ground, but I'm assuming distance or access is problematic. I also use GPS TOPO to pick out likely spots, but knowing what grows there makes a big difference.
image b.jpg
image b.jpg (216.12 KiB) Viewed 3410 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:37 pm

While your looking for fresh sigh on the main creek, I would go check out that pond! Even if it is dry it could bring deer to it!

Imorr5141

Postby Imorr5141 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:16 pm

Kellory thanks for the help. There is no crop planted just a green field in the white areas. As for trees it's all mainly hard wood and my guess without setting foot and going by surrounding land is there are oaks. Between places B and C you marked on the map is a power line. Besides that ill have to put my boots on the ground but will be checkout those 3 locations to start! Thank you again!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:01 am

Imorr5141 wrote:Kellory thanks for the help. There is no crop planted just a green field in the white areas. As for trees it's all mainly hard wood and my guess without setting foot and going by surrounding land is there are oaks. Between places B and C you marked on the map is a power line. Besides that ill have to put my boots on the ground but will be checkout those 3 locations to start! Thank you again!

My pleasure, but keep in mind....It is all guesswork on this end. Just a higher probability. Contours show likely travel routes, but not why the deer is traveling. look for what that deer needs. food, water, bedding, does. and the pathways between them. And don't just head to those spots blindly, but use your eyes and watch for where they go, and think about why they went that way, was it easier? hidden? If you understand the why, where to look for the next clues get easier. Good luck, and keep us posted. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to Best Practices