filled tags first day so bored :(

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
jrat

filled tags first day so bored :(

Postby jrat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:19 am

Deer season was too easy this year was no fun at all for me. I will never fill my tags first day first hour that I am in the woods again.

Fist day I get in the woods and found a big Tree up on a hill to sit at, a big buck an doe came running out. I shot the buck and he fell the doe just stood their like a moron so I shot her she fell. and on my walk to go get them another doe came running out and about ran me over lol, and I shot her

Anyone else ever done this? it is so boring not being in the woods, I feel cheated there was no sport in it. all my buddy's out having good old time

shaman

Re: filled tags first day so bored :(

Postby shaman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:32 am

Back to back years for me, 1991-92

Same day: Opening Sunday of Indiana bow season
Same tree:
Same conditions: Could not hunt Saturday, got rained out Sunday morning, went out Sunday afternoon

In the first instance, a nice buck came in at sundown, I shot him and he took off. I found the arrow, but no trail. I was beginning to despair, when I looked out in the middle of a neighboring field and found him. He was too big for me to lift into my truck, so the farmer came out with his front loader.

The next year, I had just made it up the tree when a nice buck came past. I still did not have my bow hoisted. About 5 minutes later a bigger buck came up the same trail and stopped at the same place the buck the year before had stood. This one went about 20 yards with a gusher spraying the trees.

When it was over I'd spent a total of 6 hours hunting over two years with two nice bucks to show for it.

. . . and I was never so miserable.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

jdbell91

Postby jdbell91 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:35 am

Congratulations on a successful start to your season. Depending on your ability to get more tags, you could try going out with a bow or muzzleloader. That would give you more of a challenge.

Good luck!
Semper Fi,

Joe

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:05 am

Hunting is complex, at least we make it that way. We attach all kinds of goals to it. "I want to limit-out, I want to kill a 4 year old buck, I want to kill a B&C, whatever." Set whatever goals suit you (within the confines of the law and basic ethics), but above all I suggest that you attach one overriding goal. It's one that has been at the center of every hunting season I've ever entered into and it will stay there until the end.

Walk away with no complaints.

Please note that I did not say regrets. We will make mistakes and we will regret them, but to complain is to be ungrateful for an amazing gift. Every day that we possess the means to hunt is a blessing. Every kill is a blessing beyond measure. Don't complain that your blessing was too easy. You have no idea how the next chance will shape up, or if you'll even get another chance. Don't complain.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:49 pm

2 things. First, I consider any deer I get a good killinng shot at to be a gift from God. Second, NEVER look a gift horse in the mouth!

You were given a gift and you accepted it. Be thankful. You may go 3 seasons now with no shots at all!

I killed them in the first 20 minutes of my first hunt of the season, and I've killed them in the 11th hour. It's ALL good. When I tagged out early I then helped the other guys in my camp that were still hunting, and I scouted and small game hunted if that was in season. There's ALWAYS something interesting to do in the woods!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

croz2173

Postby croz2173 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Good points WW.

Dont let a filled tag/s keep you out of the woods. To me its fun to be out there anytime. Always something to learn and you never know what you might see!

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:45 pm

jrat wrote:Deer season was too easy this year was no fun at all for me. I will never fill my tags first day first hour that I am in the woods again.

Fist day I get in the woods and found a big Tree up on a hill to sit at, a big buck an doe came running out. I shot the buck and he fell the doe just stood their like a moron so I shot her she fell. and on my walk to go get them another doe came running out and about ran me over lol, and I shot her

Anyone else ever done this? it is so boring not being in the woods, I feel cheated there was no sport in it. all my buddy's out having good old time

Lucky you! Though, if you had three tags and three tags only, and you shot one and then another right away, why shoot the third? That is, if you are worried the season would be over. Personally, I would be happy with just one, and that would be plenty enough work for me since I have nobody to help me gut it or drag it or load it. That said, congratulations. Just try to turn that frown upside down, and don't complain about good fortune. I consider that bad luck!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:10 pm

I would be quite happy to tag out early. I have several projects to get done on my hunting property, that can't be done when the spring flooding is on, or the summer heat is too much. Working in the cold snow ain't much fun either, Much easier to do in the fall, but might wreck hunting. I have a tower stand to site and build, (now is the best time to know what can be seen and covered) Vanilla test, a wood burner to install, Insulation, and fire stop to install, a cascade to build, a trench to finish and wires to run.....If I can get it done for next season I'm golden! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Return to General Discussions