Recipes?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Recipes?

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:08 pm

I cook a lot, and there are a lot of resources for recipes out there. Just less-so for deer. Don't get me wrong, I have found good ones, but what do you guys like? I recommend a forum for it, since it would be nicer to see recipes from people you talk to. :-) Ideas?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Re: Recipes?

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:01 pm

You mean like right here? viewforum.php?f=30 or just scroll down on the main forum page, it's down near the bottom. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:56 am

just like kellroy posted for them here in these forums .. there are also recipes on the ODNR web site as well as allrecipes.com ...
i think crossbow nation has some in their forums ... as well ..

so there is no shortage of recipes on the net ... it is just a shortage of meat to try them all :?
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:15 pm

Wow I scrolled all through and missed it somehow. Opps! I do have the ones from the ODNR as well.

Sorry bout that!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 am

I keep things simple but I have a handful of family favorites that I rotate through the year depending on what cuts we are eating. They include broiled backstrap with mushrooms and garlic, BBQ deer sandwiches, venison pot roast over mashed potatoes and veggies, tenderized fried tenderloins, deer summer sausage,and a thing I call cowboy trail food. There are a few others but these always go over well. I'm happy to share details on any that sound good. Again, most of the recipes are straight forward and the success is in the subtle things.

The real key to your recipes is the care and butchering of your deer. Field dress right away and begin to cool the deer as soon as you can. I am an advocate of getting the hide off and putting the meat into coolers right away. If you are going to use a local butcher, I'd get the deer to him ASAP. Some hunters hang their deer for days. I do not. Also, get some ideas on what you want to do with your deer in the kitchen so that you can provide specific instructions to the butcher.

Return to General Discussions