2012 Gun Season Log

umpiremark

2012 Gun Season Log

Postby umpiremark » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:08 am

Where are you going?

Long Time hunting buddies or a new camp?

What did you see?

What did you shoot?

How did others fare in your camp/group?

How was the weather?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For myself, it's back up to Necedah with my son (32). We've been bowhunting since Sept up there; one doe in the freezer. Many bucks sighted on camera, mostly in the middle of the night; some very nice ones (posted on the trail cam thread). My friend who owns the 120 acres we bow hunt on and his older brother (all my age, in their upper 50's and 60's) will be up at the trailer. This is my 19th season hunting with my friend on his land. This is the 3rd season where my buddy Petey is not hunting (65 and quit bow and gun hunting). We are always hopeful as the season begins.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Good luck to all hunters ... be safe, hunt smart, have fun!!

I'll be anxious to come back and see how all did in the 2012 season!!

Last edited by umpiremark on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Retch Crabtree

Re: 2012 Gun Season Log

Postby Retch Crabtree » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:29 am

Back to the same deer camp we have been using all deer season long. We pick up a few more guys at this time of year until we reach the usual number of 29 hunters. This is my 36th season. I’m Not much for gun hunting since its not much of a challenge but I like to get together with the guys and to help my elderly father and a few new/young hunters get deer and to keep the trespassers of the land and to generally monitor what is taking place in the area. I will most likely pass on every buck I see and instead, shoot them with a video camera since I would much rather hunt and kill them with a bow (more challenging and satisfying). Its still fun to get together and talk and play cards and see the deer the kids and older hunters and the non-bowhunters in our group get. They get pretty excited about it since they have such a short window of deer hunting time. Good luck to the gun hunters.

umpiremark

Postby umpiremark » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:43 am

"I will most likely pass on every buck I see and instead, shoot them with a video camera since I would much rather hunt and kill them with a bow (more challenging and satisfying). "

If I am not mistaken ... you can use archery tackle during the gun season. I think the challenge would lie within the parameters of a gun season/hunting and still getting within 25, 30 or 35 yards of a nice buck with a bow. Why don't you bow hunt (in orange of course) during the 9 days?

Just curious ... ... ...
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Retch Crabtree

Postby Retch Crabtree » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:25 am

I move around more during the gun season to patrol the perimeters to keep the low lifes at bay. I dont really just sit in a tree stand plus I am tending to the young and old folks that shoot deer so its not like Im doing a great deal of actual hunting. Its just gun season, its not that big of a deal but I will cary a gun in case one of the large deer that we have on the lands shows itself or if I care to take a doe for meat.

eberhaar863828

Postby eberhaar863828 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 pm

So why the big campaign to get to use archery tackle in the rifle season if you aren't going to use it?
Ducks

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:03 pm

If I go out during the 2012 wisconsin hunting season with a gun during the rut would I post to the "2012 Wisconsin Hunting Journal", the" 2012 Gun Season Log", or to "2012 Rut Topics"?
Semper Fidelis!

Retch Crabtree

Postby Retch Crabtree » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:21 pm

eberhaar863828 wrote:So why the big campaign to get to use archery tackle in the rifle season if you aren't going to use it?

Rumor and wives tail. That happened two years ago and was not due to very much effort on my part. I think you have your "campaigns" mixed up. But besides that I dont alway work on things because they would benefit me. I normally do it for the greater good, what makes sense even if it wont effect me.

Bigfoot

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:47 pm

story of the day so far for us had to be the lack of shooting,heard maybe 10-15 shots by 8am(normally it's about 1 every minute or two),went outside around noon for half an hour and didnt hear 1

by 7:10am had a 7 pointer on the ground(heart shot) it went about 15 yards tried going over a branch and fell over backwards,had my mom walk over and tag it

bouhntr

Postby bouhntr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm

hunted over by briggsville opening weekend. me and 2 other guys on 30 acers of private land accross the road is a lot of leased land . lots of shooting going on saturday I myself saw 6 deer to far away to shoot. one of the guys I hunt with shot a doe and a yearling buck. other than that we seen no more deer the rest of the weekend. today most of the guys on the leased land must have tagged out yesterday because we didnt see many over there and not much shooting going on. The place I hunt there is mostly a travel through for the deer, not a place for them to eat, or bed down , so without the guns going off or people moving around we just don't see the deer, it was still a fun weekend out in the field

willypete

Postby willypete » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

Had an interesting opening weekend. I actually saw more deer on Sunday. While all I saw that day was 7 little ones it was still surprising. Some people hate the little ones but I don't mind cause chances are they are going to bump into some mature deer and they are going to get up and move too.

Opening day was pretty slow. I saw one small doe in the morning so it started pretty bad. But with about an hour left I had standed up to stretch cause I had been sitting all day. And just out of the corner of my eye I saw a deer walking through the wood about 40 yards away. I was kindof startled cause I couldn't hear it at all. I didn't know what it was at that point, but I knew it was heading straight to a small pond. Got into the opening and saw it was a nice size fork buck so I shot it. I'm no expert on aging but the rack says 1.5 year old, but it was pretty big in the chest and very dark on the head to be that young so I think it was a 2.5 with a small rack.

Have to love my .270 though. Instant kill didn't even take another step. I gutted it pretty fast and wasent really looking but it had to have been a lung shot cause I recall pulling the heart out. Leaves really small holes which is great. Damage is done inside.

Next

Return to Wisconsin