Bad Shot - Will he live?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
MusicproZ71

Re: Bad Shot - Will he live?

Postby MusicproZ71 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:13 am

After the deer was shot he immediately ran, actually back towards us but at an angle. From what I remember his tail was down at that moment. He ran about 20 yards, slowed to a walk. Walked under a tree and bedded down out of our site.

When we jumped him half an hour later he looked perfectly healthy. No limp. Got up extremely fast. Tail up. Ran down a very steep creek and back up the other side. Never crashed into anything. Went under the property barbed wire fence (oddly enough every deer we have seen has gone under the fence not over it, i guess they are lazy, lol). The spot where he went under the fence had only one spec of blood on a leaf. Literally, a spot the size of a pencil tip. I do not know how he did not bleed more. The wound was a big one from what I remember seeing. You would think that the stress of going under a fence would have made the blood spot much more prominent.

From what I remember seeing of the wound/hole the size of my fist, I personally would think how could he possibly survive? But I think it looked much worse because we all know from skinning deer than some areas you can cut with a razor and the hide just flaps open. That is one of those areas. But then, when he ran off he looked perfectly normal. No limp, etc. When he was bedded down and we jumped him he was perfectly alert. Sitting head up, watching and listening. There was just minimal blood. And of course the further we tracked the blood the less there was. I was literally on my hands and knees looking for small blood specs.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:23 am

I'll bet he survives.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:14 pm

MusicproZ71 wrote:Yea this 10 point was also the biggest buck we have ever seen in person while hunting - so it makes it that much worse! Even if he does live I will probably never see him again or never see him on the game camera. I am sure he will associate our location as a dangerous one.

I hope to go back this weekend, which by Sunday would be a week since it happened. I will keep everyone updated.

When you shot yours with a shotgun, were you using slug or buckshot?

I was using a slug. Simply due to inexperience, I was thinking that with my scope dead on at 50 yds, a 12 yd shot would hit high. Apparently that's not the case. I aimed like I was trying to shoot him directly in the heart and let him have it... He hunched up and did a slow tro away from me with his front right leg up off the ground... I was sure he was going down when he stood in a thicket looking around, but he eventually just ran away... I'm thinking I hit him in the upper leg. When the neighbors saw him later he was limping, but chasing does.

I'm sure your deer will survive, and don't give up on seeing him again either. It may take some time for him to get comfortable, but he'll be back. I mean, he bedded down 20 yards from where he got shot initially, so he wasn't too freaked out.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

spearfisher

Postby spearfisher » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:21 pm

Bet he made it. From your description, thats just not much blood loss. I'd bet in favor of the buck

MusicproZ71

Postby MusicproZ71 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:00 pm

HE LIVED!!!

I cannot believe it, but the big buck showed up on the game camera 5 days after he was shot. I do realize infection could still set in. I feel sorry for the buck, it has got to hurt like hell. A chunk of his neck/brisket is missing, but I guess he's still gotta eat!

I am trying to post a pic.

MusicproZ71

Postby MusicproZ71 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Here is a pic of the wound.
Attachments
Deer Wound.jpg
Deer Wound.jpg (115.13 KiB) Viewed 692 times
Last edited by MusicproZ71 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicproZ71

Postby MusicproZ71 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Another view.
Attachments
deer wound3.jpg
deer wound3.jpg (234.01 KiB) Viewed 693 times

MusicproZ71

Postby MusicproZ71 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:21 pm

1 more look
Attachments
deer wound4.jpg
deer wound4.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 692 times

MusicproZ71

Postby MusicproZ71 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Now - If we see this 10 pointer again I do not know if we should take him, or if we should tip our hats to him and let him walk for beating us and the odds.

One thing is for sure, the shoulder mount is no good now!

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:54 pm

This is just my opinion, but I think that if you see him again, you should take him. I don't think he's enjoying life right now. I know bad shots happen, I am not judging... definitely not me, so fear not. I am too new to suggest any different. I just think that might be better for him, and he IS a very nice deer, whether you can shoulder mount him or not. If you don't get a chance, wish him the best until next year.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions