First time shooting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

First time shooting

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:36 am

After waiting for quite a while, my daughter finally began to show interest in going shooting with me and learning. Today is the day. We're taking out a selection for her to try out.

She's been out with me shooting when she was younger as an observer, but I never wanted to push her into something, I thought it would be better to wait and see if she became interested on her own. She is 17.

She has also always held an interest in archery as well, and used to have a recurve she liked that was used in the back yard, so I believe that is the angle I am taking for her Christmas gifts. Maybe she'll be out on a stand next year. Or maybe she might take a liking to trap or skeet or something of that nature.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Re: First time shooting

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:19 am

Sierra wrote:After waiting for quite a while, my daughter finally began to show interest in going shooting with me and learning. Today is the day. We're taking out a selection for her to try out.

She's been out with me shooting when she was younger as an observer, but I never wanted to push her into something, I thought it would be better to wait and see if she became interested on her own. She is 17.

She has also always held an interest in archery as well, and used to have a recurve she liked that was used in the back yard, so I believe that is the angle I am taking for her Christmas gifts. Maybe she'll be out on a stand next year. Or maybe she might take a liking to trap or skeet or something of that nature.

You are a local. I have a 35# fiberglass recurve you could start her out on to make sure of her interest (before shelling out bucks for a true hunting bow) It is not legal for deer (too light, though it once was, and took my first deer)
She can have it, if you will pick it up. I'm in Columbus. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:11 pm

kellory wrote:
You are a local. I have a 35# fiberglass recurve you could start her out on to make sure of her interest (before shelling out bucks for a true hunting bow) It is not legal for deer (too light, though it once was, and took my first deer)
She can have it, if you will pick it up. I'm in Columbus. :mrgreen:

Oh wow, really? That would be great! She would be so excited. We stopped at Dunham's on the way to the farm to shoot and she kept looking at bows, and I was thinking it would be nice to be sure if she would really gravitate to it again. I bet she will at least for the enjoyment, maybe or maybe not for hunting. I would be grateful for it for sure! I will send a PM with my info so we can make a plan. I work in Columbus, too. Thank you!! :-D

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Well my daughter, Alex, did not want to try any of the shotguns, but she warmed up particularly well to the .45 handgun and things that didn't kick so much. Here is my kiddo enjoying the AR. Maybe in time she will want to try some more things, I will wait on her for that. She wanted to try Chris' bow, but the draw is too much for me, let alone her. Overall, a fun day and I am glad she enjoyed her shooting. Better that she choose what she wants to try and like it, than start off with something that might be more than she wants to deal with yet. She did very well and her targets are now adorning her wall. So much fun to take kids out!!!

james067

Postby james067 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 am

wow..ii is a great feeling when we first tym try the shooting

Return to General Discussions