Pines

Your place to discuss ways the habitats for deer can be improved!
landof10000

Pines

Postby landof10000 » Thu May 01, 2008 7:43 am

So, looking to plant some pines, curious as to what people have had success with.

Thanks
Good Luck and Good Hunting

Spurred

RE: Pines

Postby Spurred » Thu May 01, 2008 8:15 am

Unless you're planting a food plot, or they're 10 feet tall, don't plant white pines. The deer will mow them to the ground come winter.

Big Dave

Postby Big Dave » Thu May 01, 2008 8:21 am

I just read Dan Schmidt's blog entry and would have to agree that red pines are the way to go in the upper Midwest and northeast. Depends on your soil, but if you have sandy areas, red pines and jack pines grow really fast and provide thick cover. If you have moist soil, white spruce and norway spruce are good. Norways grow faster than any other spruce, I believe. Be wary of firs. Deer will mow them down, too. Especially frazer firs. They eat them like candy in the winter time. Big Dave

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue May 06, 2008 4:08 am

I would plant a combination of pines. If you plant enough white pines ( which grow fairly fast) you should have some make it. If not you have way too many deer or not near enough browse/food plots. You might have to fence around your new trees to keep the deer from browseing them.   
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Tue May 06, 2008 12:00 pm

When I lived North, Jack and Red Pines were the least desired. Plant alot so some make it. Down south now, this is another story. Only Pine deer down here will just nip and not destroy, are Red Cedars, native to this area. All others conpletely destroyed! We have plenty of food. Deer just love pine buds.

hard county

Postby hard county » Tue May 06, 2008 3:40 pm

As stated earlier in the post it depends on your area, the people to talk to about this is your local forestry department, they will know more about what will work than anyone.
If it helps, I have seen no deer browse on the local loblolly pines planted on my property.

cannycorn2000

Postby cannycorn2000 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:42 am

talk to forestry dept.  they helped my land with free trees and such.

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:14 am

Red pines, work great.  Have a field of them, next to the property that I hunt and the deer flock to them.  They don't eat them, they don't do anything to them, except make them their home when the lead starts flying.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:19 am

Any new trees we plant here we have to put up fences as the deer either eat them or rub them to nothing.

I feel if your going to put the $$ into planting trees you might as well bite the bullet and put fences around them to keep them alive.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Return to Natural Habitat Enhancements