Illinois Hunting Journal 2012

Deebz

Re: Illinois Hunting Journal 2012

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:30 pm

For sure... I really would have liked to shot, but every time my thumb slipped over to the safety I just couldn't help but think about the fact that I could be responsible for hurting someone...

Did you guys hear the story about the guy who shot his muzzleloader into the air to unload it after his hunt last year, and the bullet killed an amish girl in a buggy on the road 2 miles away?? That kind of thing can totally be avoided by a little common sense...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 pm

Deebz wrote:For sure... I really would have liked to shot, but every time my thumb slipped over to the safety I just couldn't help but think about the fact that I could be responsible for hurting someone...

Did you guys hear the story about the guy who shot his muzzleloader into the air to unload it after his hunt last year, and the bullet killed an amish girl in a buggy on the road 2 miles away?? That kind of thing can totally be avoided by a little common sense...

yeah, it was discussed here, and posted by Oakcarver. "Sheriff: Ohio man cleaning gun killed Amish girl
by Oakarver » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Very sad story. Another example and reason to not to just be firing a gun randomly into the air.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 0-17-50-11
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:37 am

I hunt public land and was blessed to make it in the park as a stand by hunter all three days. I really like the spot I use for shotgun season. it is a travel corridor between 5 known bedding areas and the terrain is a natural funnel to where my stand is. there has been a lot of deer movement through this area both this season and in the past.

Friday morning there was lots of shooting. I passed on a fawn buck at 25 yds with spikes about three inches at 9 a.m. Figured if a fawn can sprout those spikes he would be a really nice mature deer (besides he would have qualified for 1 of 2 bucks!) he made his way to the West and I heard shots go out. he came running back through with a bad limp. when I first saw him I figured I was going to have to put him down. when he slowed to a walk he didn't have the limp so I thought maybe he had already been injured and I didn't notice before because he was walking. I saw no visible gun shots or blood so I decided to give him another pass. a few minutes later I heard gunshots in the direction he went. it turns out someone ended up taking him and he had been shot in the foot.

A fawn and doe came through around 10 that I passed on because I didn't have a clear shot through the brush at about 50 yards. I had the doe in the crosshairs but couldn't justify pulling the trigger.

A lone doe came through at 12:45 and gave me a clear quartering away shot that ranged at 75 yards. In this stand I count on the other hunters to stir the deer and she was moving with a sense of urgency. figured a hunter coming or going from lunch kicked her up. She didnt go more than 10 yards after the shot. that was the first doe I ever shot that had ground shrinkage when I got to her. She turned out to be a fawn. After the fact it seems that without other deer with her to compare to and the fact that she was 75 yards away both factored in to the shrinkage. Oh well. I was blessed to take her and she will be nice and tender!

Sat and Sunday was pretty quiet. Not much shooting and I didnt see another deer all weekend despite many sightings during bow season. I have an either sex tag to hunt the park second season. Looking forward to it!
Semper Fidelis!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:10 am

buckwild: I had a pretty similar experience with the doe I shot... she was traveling with a button buck, and was definitely bigger bodied. I figure she's either a really big fawn or a smallish 1 1/2 yr old. Either way I can't wait to get at some of those back straps :D

We did manage to pick up 2 more deer off the big open farm I hunt with a group of guys, but it was REALLY slow. I think the warm weather really had them just laying around.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:27 pm

Congrats on the does Deebz and Buckwild. They will eat good and there is nothing wrong with that! How about some pictures!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:40 am

I was out Friday AM for the gun hunt; didn't see anything but heard some shots close by. It is not like it used to be maybe three or four years ago when it was like WWIII.

Saturday I was out all day; saw one in the AM & one just after sunset. No clear shots so they might as well have been 5 miles away.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:22 pm

Deebz - It did seem like we had similar hunts. I mentioned that I didn't shoot at the doe through the brush but left out the part that it was because she was between me and the park trail where there could be foot traffic. You had a similar report with the houses!

4khorn - thank you. I don't have a pic and she is currently in the freezer. I was even fortunate enough to get the burger back already. They did it while I waited because I didnt get any sausage. Chili, tacos, and meatballs will be just fine for now. (and maybe a little hamburger helper for my little girls!)

Standby for 2nd season report!

Good job keeping this thread going Illinois! you rock!
Semper Fidelis!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:33 pm

Hunted Saturday night after getting back into town after Thanksgiving festivities... I walked the wife into the stand where I'd been passing on deer. She's really wanting to get a shot opportunity at deer number 2, so I was hoping one of the small guys I'd been watching all season would walk by. It was freezing cold, and she didn't see a single thing. I watched a coyoted bedded down across the creek, and I almost got him to come in to some kissy noises when he stood up... He circled and caught my wind before he crossed the creek though.

My trail cam had only 7 vids on it... after averaging 30-50 per week in that spot... and only 1 for sure deer. I did have 2 vids of coyotes moving through, so I'm thinking they may have moved in and are pushing the deer out. I think the 'yotes take refuge in my small section after the surrounding woods get hit hard during gun season. I really need to do some serious yote hunting this winter...

Looking forward to getting out this weekend for 2nd session of gun season. I'm really kind of bummed that it's supposed to be warming up though... I wish it would just get cold and stay cold...

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:59 pm

I hear ya Deebz. Looking forward to 2nd season (tomorrow!) and people think I am a freak for complaining that it is too warm.

Good luck everyone. Hunt safely, and I look forward to reading reports next week...
Semper Fidelis!

4khorn

Postby 4khorn » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:04 pm

I was out for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday evening. Had two does come out to feed about 200 yards off. My stand is tucked into the woods about 60 yards where deer often stage before going out to the field. I guess they were too hungry to stage up! Good to see some deer coming to the field though. December has been good to me in the past and am hoping it continues this year.

Good luck during gun season fella's and I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!
My pursuit of a buck of a lifetime is much like the Chicago Cubs pursuit of a World Series...the season ends with a "wait til next year"

Luke

PreviousNext

Return to Illinois