Calling/Grunting

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
posco

Re: Calling/Grunting

Postby posco » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 pm

That's not too much.. You're letting out two to four grunts per sequence? One episode comes to mind. I settled into a spot and once the woods regained its composure I let out two grunts. I waited one half hour based on my watch and let out a single grunt. Waited another half hour and let out another single grunt. The buck closed the last twenty yards at a trot. I was chilled and had laid my bow on the ground. Busted. As I bent over slowly to pick up my bow I heard him go. As I turned to look all I saw was a very nice set of antlers disappearing the way they'd came.

In a big woods environment where there are fewer deer, bucks might be trolling and you probably should be calling more frequently. Where there's a good deer population and you feel good about your set-up, less is probably more.

I've been calling for twenty years or so and calls are my crutch...I haven't seen it all but I've seen a lot. You never know how the deer are going to respond, you just gain more confidence from your successes and learn from the opportunities you botch.

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:17 pm

I call every 10 to 15 minutes - during pre-rut, rut, early post-rut I use a mix of buck grunts and doe bleats - trying to make it sound like a doe is being followed by a buck. I will blind call as I have had luck in getting bucks to come into an area based on that. Louder the better if calling blind - want all the area to hear and possibly respond. I have called at does when hunting as well - mostly they don't seem to care, does not scare them but does not draw them either. I did call in a sighted buck once but almost blew that because I used a doe bleat - he stopped and looked but did not see a doe so kept walking - I then let out a loud buck grunt and he came in looking hard for the opponent.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

harvgrove

Postby harvgrove » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:53 pm

Calling as well as Rattling blind is hit and miss. There are so many opinions on the topic that the only sure thing is ending up at the same question. They are tools and revenue. That being said if you have them and nothing is happening try them. When I use calls I try to use them in sequence, say estrous bleat, tending grunt, and then snort wheeze. How about grunt, rattle, rattle, snort wheeze,- - - estrus bleat. You don't know until you try and you won't learn what works either.

Previous

Return to Best Practices