travel areas

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deadhunter25

travel areas

Postby Deadhunter25 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:02 pm

Arite so I have a property where there are two "hot" areas deer seem to travel most often. A break in a wall and a valley. Unfortunately both those spots I cannot hunt but I am situated not too far from both.

During the rut especially bucks travel these areas always and I can never get them to me. I've used calls and decoys which have worked in the past but I was thinking of ways to  re-route the deer to travel by me to get to and from these two areas.

I cannot bait and I'm running out of ideas but how can I make them change theyre pattern. Its not my property so I cannot put up permanent things like fencing.

Demoderby4

RE: travel areas

Postby Demoderby4 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:08 pm

maybe try some small food plots along where you are set up, if they are close enough to you and the "hot spots" they will probly come check em out as night is about to fall or before day break, and maybe even for a quick stop when they are cruising, just one idea that might help out.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:14 pm

It would take a matter of a few years, but you could create a sanctuary/bedding area for does. Once they start using it the bucks will come. Plant pines and cedar trees surrounding some tall grass in an area where there would be no human activity and leave it alone.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:19 pm

Just curious as to why you cannot hunt these areas? Land owner said so?

Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

Gafrage

Postby Gafrage » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:34 pm

scent trails?  Leave a scent thingymabobby in the tree, when the winds are right, and then drag one closer to your stand, and hang another thingymabobby in another tree in a shooting lane.  Grunt to them, tending style, and wait for the crashing of brush, leaves and 50ft trees.  They'll come.

Return to General Discussions