First Still Hunt

Share your tips and techniques on these great, but often times lost methods of hunting.
First_Gen

First Still Hunt

Postby First_Gen » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:19 pm

With the warm weather here in PA, I decided to go on my first still hunt. I spooked a small six point going into the woods, but it was not the worse I have ever done. Gave that one to experience. It was a challenge to move slow, and I had rubber boots on which didn't help the process. I feel like I moved to quick during some portions, and that deer probably saw me before I saw them.

With an hour left of light, I decided to sit next to a tree. A half hour later I had a spike buck walk 5 yards behind me and beside me. He looked at me, and walked away slightly nervous, but not in panic. That alone was worth it, I have never been so close to a deer before! I can say I am hooked and want to get better at it.

Woods Walker

Re: First Still Hunt

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:52 pm

Just keep doing it and you'll get better at it.

A good way to slow down is to first off not have a specific destination that you want to get to because in reality you DON'T. Where you want to be is in the woods, and you're already there. On a similar note TIME should have no relevance either, other than legal shooting time. One of the first things I do when I stillhunt is take my watch off, and for Heavens sake TURN THE DAMN CELL PHONE OFF! Better yet, leave that electronic leash in your vehicle so you aren't tempted to "stay in touch". I cannot think of a better way to screw up the concentration and focus you need for a stillhunt than by being annoyed with a cell phone.

Secondly, you MUST make yourself believe as sure as you draw breath that there IS a deer just beyond where you cannot see, and that you MUST see him first, so you need to move like you can see this deer and he cannot see you and you want to keep it that way.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Got my first "still hunt" deer this past weekend. I was creeping and stopping down the edge of a thick pine thicket with the wind in my face :) . As I came to a corner at a fire break, I kneeled down so I could look through the corner. Visibility was only possible down low. I saw 8 deer legs moving slowly toward the corner and my full view.. For a few seconds i thought my heart would jump out of my chest. All I knew was it was 2 deer. Size and sex was a mystery.

I took several deep breaths widened my scope view and aimed at the open area 20 yards in front of me. First out was a small one (7 mos old fawn I judged) that weighed about 50#. Behind it was momma. I hit her with a chest shot and she went down and never thought about getting back up. The farm I was hunting wanted doe kills and no bucks less that 8 point. I felt the little one was old enough to be on her own. The doe weighed in at 110 field dressed which is decent for a doe here in TN.

The thrill of the still hunt has me excited. I'll continue to stand hunt too, but still hunting is in my plans for the future too.posting.php?mode=reply&f=58&t=36241#

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:47 am

gatodoc wrote:Got my first "still hunt" deer this past weekend.

The thrill of the still hunt has me excited. I'll continue to stand hunt too, but still hunting is in my plans for the future too.

Congrats on the kill! That was a great story & I can understand that you are still exited. Good luck on your future hunts.
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Woods Walker wrote:Just keep doing it and you'll get better at it.

A good way to slow down is to first off not have a specific destination that you want to get to because in reality you DON'T. Where you want to be is in the woods, and you're already there. On a similar note TIME should have no relevance either, other than legal shooting time. One of the first things I do when I stillhunt is take my watch off, and for Heavens sake TURN THE DAMN CELL PHONE OFF! Better yet, leave that electronic leash in your vehicle so you aren't tempted to "stay in touch". I cannot think of a better way to screw up the concentration and focus you need for a stillhunt than by being annoyed with a cell phone.

Secondly, you MUST make yourself believe as sure as you draw breath that there IS a deer just beyond where you cannot see, and that you MUST see him first, so you need to move like you can see this deer and he cannot see you and you want to keep it that way.

I agree with you there, I knew the area, but not well and its been years since I have been in that specific spot. However, I knew deer were there so I figured I would try it out.

I agree with you on the cell phone to, I always have it on me just in the case something happens to me in the woods, but I am pretty good about not using it...another reason for me to stay out of the stand. Also, must of the people I talk to on a regular basis know I'll drop off the grid for a day...yes I'm that guy but it usually plays to my advantage if I am fly fishing or hunting. Plus its usually too much extra movement and not looking up and around.

Good point to, as I got tired I picked up my pace to get back to my entrance point and sure enough I saw a pair of legs and bodies moving away.

Also, while after ordering everything, I should have just bought one, but everything is in for me to start constructing my ghillie suit. Should be a fun project. If I can get this one made in time I'll be using it for late season archery, and make another one for early season next year, along with a video on how to do it right s the junk instructions you see on youtube.

First_Gen

Postby First_Gen » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:53 pm

gatodoc wrote:Got my first "still hunt" deer this past weekend. I was creeping and stopping down the edge of a thick pine thicket with the wind in my face :) . As I came to a corner at a fire break, I kneeled down so I could look through the corner. Visibility was only possible down low. I saw 8 deer legs moving slowly toward the corner and my full view.. For a few seconds i thought my heart would jump out of my chest. All I knew was it was 2 deer. Size and sex was a mystery.

I took several deep breaths widened my scope view and aimed at the open area 20 yards in front of me. First out was a small one (7 mos old fawn I judged) that weighed about 50#. Behind it was momma. I hit her with a chest shot and she went down and never thought about getting back up. The farm I was hunting wanted doe kills and no bucks less that 8 point. I felt the little one was old enough to be on her own. The doe weighed in at 110 field dressed which is decent for a doe here in TN.

The thrill of the still hunt has me excited. I'll continue to stand hunt too, but still hunting is in my plans for the future too.posting.php?mode=reply&f=58&t=36241#

Congrats on the harvest!!

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:23 am

It's been a windy year and I have taken all my animals so far this year by still hunting because of it. I have found that when I am still hunting, when I stop moving I see deer that are not aware of my presence. When I am moving, I see deer that either have me pegged or are already hightailing it. It's called still hunting, not walk hunting or deer driving. Stand still for longer periods than you walk. Your success will go way up.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:21 am

Good for you Swamp! It puts a whole new perspective on windy days, doesn't it?

I try and go by the mindset that when I am not moving I have the advantage, and when I do move I give that up and the faster I move the more I give up. Therefore, I only move when I know that I've exhausted ALL of the possible options from where I can see the deer that I KNOW are there from.

Definately a mental game.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 am

I got out to hunt yesterday for the first time for bow. Did not see anything at all, and I didn't leave my ladderstand at all. from can see to about 3:30, didn't move other than scanning the woods, and two short breaks to stretch. I was determined to get a deer, since I have missed out on so much of the season so far. No dice. No a flicker of ear, or sight of rack. About 3:30 sudden high winds came up and i started to wonder if being in a tree was a good idea. when I saw one dead tree break and a live one roll over, I decided I was much safer on the ground. This stand is set at 20 feet, and I found it took a lot less time to climb down, than it took going up. From the ground there was very little I could see, but i stuck it out till dark.
This was a minimal hunt with nothing more than a fanny pack, optics, hot hands, TP, weapon, knife and a drag rope.
I have quite a bit of gear, but I have been thinking of a gillie suit. I don't have time to make one, but the army-navy surplus store has some for about $40. Is that a fair price?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:07 pm

That's more than fair. You can always customize it to suit your needs. Bascially all it has to do is break up your outline. Color is unimportant as long as it doesn't shine.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Next

Return to Ground Hunting, Still Hunting, and Stalking