local food pantry

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

local food pantry

Postby Homunculi » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:15 pm

for years the local pantry has asked for help with christmas in the village ... 2 years ago i offered some packages of deer meat to contribute for families in need for holiday meals ... and i was told quote "if it cannot be a ready fix meal we do not want it" ... that kinda of burned me a little .. as i know when i was in need of help i know beggars cannot be choosers ...

while at work yesterday i get a phone call from the pantry wanting to know what i can do for thanksgiving and christmas this year ,, well being strapped for cash again this year i said i can see what i can do about some deer meat if that would help ... and after talking with my father he mentioned calling the local police for the deer strike hotlines and i can take hem to a processor and get the done for free because they are going to the food pantry ... or i can process them myself for the pantry ...

anyway this time when i mentioned donating some deer meat all i heard on the other end of the phone is "we will take what you can give" ...
knowing that things are getting bad in the economy.. with more and more families out of work ... i just want to try and help out ..

if anyone in the clermont eastern hamilton or western brown county area knows of a "fresh" road kill that had to be put down by an officer that is viable for butchering

please let me know

pm me for my cell number if you can help out
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Homunculi

Re: local food pantry

Postby Homunculi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:02 pm

well i gues this was a bad idea to ask .......

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Scoutfish

Postby Scoutfish » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:06 pm

As a former CubMaster of a cub scout pack and Asst Scoutmaster of a troop, I can understand why a pantry may not want the deer at first.

We collected food every year for our local pantry and everything had to be canned good or dry box goods to ensure a shelf life.

Sure, somebody who is hungry really ought to be glad to get what they can, and especially meat , which is rare at pantrys.

But - in mjy area at least- pantrys do not have a means to refridgerate any kind of meat, so meat donatons arte limited to canned hams, spam, treat, etc.

Ofh, and the pouch style tunafish salad since it dooes not have to be refridgerated.

Now, another thing to consider is waste due to most people ( unlike us) not liking venison. They may accept it when asked, but might not even ever consider eating Bambi . Could be they expect it to tast just like a Big Mac and think it is bad or spoiled when it doesn't.

I know people who love venison, but do not know how to prepare it. They do not understand or recognize you have to add fat to venison when you make deer burgers or sausage. They will burn it up trying to cook it.

If they are fionally accepting it, it's a good thing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:39 am

throught the year here in my town that is all they give out is canned meat and dried goods .. but for thanksgiving and chrsitmas they get people who donate cash and time picking up meals from the grocery and delivering them to homes ... ham.. turkeys .. chickens .. i think it is great they do this ... for a nice home cooked meal for the holiday

and well this year for some reason they are saying they will take anything .. (well i know the reason) ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Ohio has a few organizations from what I understand, to help feed the hungry, that are specifically for the donation of game meat. I think it's terrific.

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/reg ... share.aspx

That way, people who hunt here that don't like venison (and need to get their taste buds examined) can hunt knowing there would be no waste, so long as they participate. Anyone else in Ohio know anything more about these groups?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Sierra i know there are leaches on the system but there are good people on there too .. in hopes if i can get the police and sheriff to call me with fresh kills i can take them to my fathers processor or i can do it my self ,,, in hopes to get some well needed food to deserving families ...

if i had known ohio had that program when i was down and out that is where i would have been ..

and i am thinking waste not want not ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:20 pm

Actually, Ohio has several. First one that comes to mind is "Hunters against Hunger", and I have run across several more such groups. Any unwanted deer can now be dropped off to any citified processor, (one who has satisfied the state that his methods and habits are clean) and the man will process the meat, and whoever wants the meat pays the processor's fee.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:44 pm

kellory wrote:Actually, Ohio has several. First one that comes to mind is "Hunters against Hunger", and I have run across several more such groups. Any unwanted deer can now be dropped off to any citified processor, (one who has satisfied the state that his methods and habits are clean) and the man will process the meat, and whoever wants the meat pays the processor's fee.

Interesting. Do they advertise this in some way so that those in need can find it? I will try to find a website.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:51 pm

My processor had pamphlets for at least three different organisations. i would start with ODNR and follow that up with local processors. They will put you on the right path.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:04 am

Thanks Kellory. I was wondering. Should I get a deer I am certainly keeping it, but there is a charitable organization in town that does a lot of food drives, and it makes me wonder if they have considered this option.

Next

Return to General Discussions