Smokers? Ex-Smokers?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Re: Smokers? Ex-Smokers?

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 am

My urges to smoke are gone now, but the some of my earlier triggers were, talking on the phone, having a beer, working on projects in my shop, fishing, driving, butchering game. The list is longer, but you get the idea. The cost of a two pack a day habit is close to a car payment these days.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 pm

This is really good motivation for me and I truly appreciate it. I do really want to, but that little addict wants me to keep going, tries to rationalize it. I have been determined to quit, but it IS very hard until you get your head in the right place. Logic does not factor into this at all, in any way. Believe me, I know what it does! I lost my dad one year ago to lung cancer. My thoughts about quitting at first were ruled by guilt, fear for what my mom thought, fear for what my family thought, and everything else. As horrible as what I went through with Dad was, and how he suffered, you're right... it had to come to pass that I want to quit for me.

I hope that makes sense in light of my Dad. One day I called him on the way home from work and he said something was up an we had to have a family talk, to which I had to pull off on the side of the freeway because in our family, "talks" are never good. I knew something was wrong with him. That night he said they gave him six weeks to live. I just sat on the floor and could not get up. He made it seven. He went from a fully functional, brilliant human being to a person I would have passed by without recognizing him if nobody told me which room at the hospice he was in. I was holding him when he died. So yeah, smoking is horrific. And I can't do that to my kids, I just can't. So no matter how many times I screw up, I will keep trying and learn from each try.

Thanks all. And sorry for the TMI about my dad there.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:13 pm

Sierra, you are among friends. Roughly 10,000 of your closest friends, and an A-hole or two ;) ) Share what you are comfortable with. And don't forget, you can post privately to individuals as well.
As for cigarettes, I gave those up cold turkey more than 20 years ago. I didn't feel any different, but I found I could not hold my breath. Since I am quite at home in the water, that was a bit of a problem. The day I realized I had a problem, was the last day I ever smoked, and I was up to two packs a day. I wouldn't lie to you, the first couple of weeks were very irritating. but it fades. I still like the first touch of smoke, but I no longer have any desire to spend all my money and choke myself. So good luck, I'm quite sure you can do it. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm sorry for you loss Sierra.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 am

Hang in there.
If i can offer unsolicited advice..........you have to quit smoking even "just a little"
The tapering down thing is very difficult. Cold turkey........and don't look back.
I did 25 years of a can a day Copenhagen, you stop, and when the urge comes, just fight it. It took at least a year to not have the urge to chew after I ate or drink. And another 2 years for any urge to grab a can finally went away. It was hard going to the 7-11/gas station to pay for something and see alllll those tobacco products and not get the urge.
But the payoff of staying 100% clean is immense
AND think of those 5-10#'s you've always wanted to gain :mrgreen: (not really true, unless you substitute food for cigarettes)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:41 am

Sorry for the late reply guys. I wanted to thank you for the encouragement and kind words. Kellory, I was also up to two packs a day! Horrible! I did the math on how much I will save, and it's enough for a splendid vacation each year. (Or an s-ton of hunting gear. Which do you suppose is most likely? :-) ) Anyway, I also agree about the cold turkey. This back and forth I was doing with not smoking for a couple of days and then giving in and smoking some, and repeating was just torture. So I decided to quit being a wimp about it and refuse to let myself have any more cigarettes, not even a puff. (I am also not permitting myself the occasional beer or two I used to like, because they made me want to smoke. And made me rationalize smoking was OK) I am also avoiding my smoking co-workers as though they are plague-ridden. Poor guys.

Result? I am a little nutty right now, but it will pass. Lots of people go through this and make it so I remind myself of that. It will be nice to sit in my stand, or be out scouting, or any other activity without the need to smoke. I can't wait for the cravings to simmer down. Hate it, but this too shall pass.

Thanks again good people.

- crazy nicotine-craving hunter woman

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:56 pm

Keep up the fight Sierra!

I gave up smoking a few years ago, but I don't think I ever had what any true smoker would call a habit... I was a 2 pack a week guy: 1 pack mon-thur, 1 pack fri-sat, spend all day sunday swearing to never smoke again... It was pretty easy for me to ignore my cravings as they weren't really ever bad physically...

I know it's cliche, but chewing gum or something really helps... I now carry a small wooden container full of toothpicks... I stick one of these in my mouth and chew on it when I would otherwise be smoking a cigarette...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Hey Sierra. How are you doing with your quest to quit?

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:39 pm

I was a pack a day smoker for a few years. I quit cold turkey. My method was simple for me....I told all my friends I would quit if the Giants won the Super bowl. Knowing my friends, the last thing I would do was give them a reason to break stones....they are hard core pros in that category.

January 27, 1991 was my last day smoking. The Giants beat the Buffalo Bills 20-19. I woke up as hung over as any human can be and needed a smoke bad, but i didn't do it. I chose to get sick instead.

It's been over 20 years now, the Giants won 2 more super Bowls since then (and lost one that made me cry) and I can't imagine that I smoked. It's crazy to me. I see friends and co-workers try to quit with great difficulty. But it can be done. I'm proof.

My true belief is, if you quit, you need to QUIT. No bumming ciggs, no taking drags, no rewarding your self..You have to just part ways.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Hey Sierra. How are you doing with your quest to quit?

I am doing it. Three days in, no cheating. I know it will get easier in time.

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic