Hunting Rub lines

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Leon

Hunting Rub lines

Postby Leon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:09 pm

I recently found an area in an opening, usually flooded area near my stand. My stand is on a pipeline approximately 250 yards through the woods from the area and I can't see any portion of it from where I'm at. In this area I found several trees varying in size with what appeared both old and new rubs. There were numerous trees marked in the area that I observed before I pulled out to avoid pushing deer away. I jumped two does bedded in this area. My questions are first, is this area the main stay for one buck that has occupied the area for some time or the work of several bucks utilizing the area. Second, should I stay hunting where I am and hope the rut activity may bring this/these buck(s) out form the area, or should I move in much closer and try the hunt the actual area? problem is it's very thick.

shaman

Re: Hunting Rub lines

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Rub lines do not necessarily show where a deer is going to be, only where he's been.

In general, do not hunt directly in a bedding area, but rather the travel corridors between bed and food.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

mhouck06

Re: Hunting Rub lines

Postby mhouck06 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:01 pm

I wouldnt jump on it right now at this point in the season.. I would def remember it tho and come back later in the year to figure out how the deer were using that area. Take a close look at it and figure out everything you can.. There is a decent chance that rub line will be used again next year and thats when you need to be ready.

Return to General Discussions