HELP! Quick Response Needed

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shadow

HELP! Quick Response Needed

Postby shadow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:51 pm

I seem to always have more questions than answers here, and you all are always great at giving advice, so here is what I need answered ASAP.

I have stand site I have not yet hunted this year, its where 2 heavily used trails come together. I feel it may be a good ambush spot setting off one trail 30 or so feet.
My delema is this.. either I can wait until Saturday go in before light and hunt all day, or go out tomorrow and Friday and hunt only from 9am until 1:30 pm. Should I wait until Saturday and get in before light as I usually would, or go in at 9am and set up my climber etc.. and hope for the best.

I'm really in need of a hunt, and just can't stand waiting a couple days. I do feel that waiting until Saturday would be my best option for this new stand site, but what does everyone else say? 

And also, if I wait this site out for a few days, I obviuosly still have the time to go out, should I go into any other of my stand sites at that late hour and try there or not at all?  Like I indicated I can hunt but only between 9am and 1:30 pm.

dtrain56

RE: HELP! Quick Response Needed

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 pm

well this depends...

First of all do you have any reason to belive that deer come by that stand between 9-1:00...do you have past experience seeing deer there between those times

is it a travel route or escape route....

I have a stand site that in the past six years has produced two mature bucks down and sightings of four others  bucks that people couldn't get shoots at right between 11-2:00

it is always during the gun season and it is an escape route when hunters start leaving the would to go get lunch...

if travel route....hunt when ever you can...

if escape route hunt only when others are in the woods

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:11 pm

These trails seem to be normal travel routes, and I don't have any idea of the times they use it. I never hunted this area or set up a camera there. I am also the only hunter on this property so no-one else would push them.

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:16 pm

any buck sign at all, scrapes, rubs around the area, if it is a travel route this time of year it could be worth it, but be prepared to see nothing, but if you see a deer most likley it will be a good buck

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:06 pm

if you have other places to hunt beside the stand you obvoisly feel is a hot spot do that. as far as hunting 9:30 to 1:30 im a firm believer that time in the woods is a hunters best weapon. all the tricks in the world wont do you any good in the living room. right now bucks as well as deer in general are moving at all hours throughout the day. choose you routes in and out carefully . go in and out as quietly and as stealthy as possible. give yourself time to sneak in and out.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

shadow

Postby shadow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm

Like was said I'm not gonna kill a deer at home, so I will hold off hunting this spot and slowly go into a different area and hunt.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:54 pm

sit all day
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:54 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

sit all day

Agreed, but I've also read and experienced seeing nice bucks during the 10am-2pm period.  Even Brad Herndon the author of Mapping Trophy Bucks insists this is one of the best times to see trophy deer.  Since you've never hunted this spot before or know when the deer are traveling through there I would wait until saturday and hunt it all day.  The final determing factor and primary one for me is which way the wind is blowing...if its not in your favor I'd wait to hunt it until it is.

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Umm ... wait till Saturday.
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 pm

im with the go in quietly and leave dragging a big deer[:D] the rut is going on in most places so the deer are moving at all times hunt any chance you can
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to General Discussions