Bad day Sat,,,,can't hunt deer from the ER....:(

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
gatodoc

Bad day Sat,,,,can't hunt deer from the ER....:(

Postby gatodoc » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:23 pm

My wife was a little concerned when I took up deer hunting. She was worried I'd fall out of a tree or shoot myself. Little did she know.

I joined a new lease this year with some great guys in Rhea county. Many of the guys hunt out of ground level shooting houses positioned on firebreaks in the pine thickets. Being a newbie and not knowing where I should position a shooting house, I got the bright idea of building one with a sled frame so I could drag it around or even load it on my golf cart trailer and tow it to different locals until I found one I liked.

Saturday, I was up at deer camp and loaded my new shooting house on the trailer and ran ratchet straps front and rear to hold it to the trailer. I attached it to my 4 wheeler. Before leaving camp I climbed inside for some quick adjustments. As I backed out the door facing the rear, I forgot about the trip wire (er ratchet strap) behind me. As I fell backward one foot down to the ground I reached out to catch myself with my hands.

My right palm hit a rock hard. As I got up cussing my stupidity I looked down and saw I'd cut my palm 3" long and 1/2" deep. I started looking for a wrap to put on it and as I wondered from trailer to trailer, I noticed 2 of my comrades following a blood trail. MINE. Geez guys...I guess habits are hard to break...

I got the darn thing wrapped, drove to the hospital, got sewed up and got back just at dusk to see the deer others got and hear the tales of luck....:( The guys cheered me up by reporting their experiences of broken bone and gashes from tree stand falls and briar patches, but I was still pissed about missing the first Sat. after turkey day. Thank goodness I got to hunt today (walking and from the ground). No darn deer today for me, but I got to hunt. I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd pulled the trigger today (right hand), but I was gonna find out By George....:)

kellory

Re: Bad day Sat,,,,can't hunt deer from the ER....:(

Postby kellory » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:18 pm

Sorry to hear you got hurt Gatordoc, Hope you heal fast and cleanly. Nice job on the shooting shack too. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:56 am

Get well gatordoc
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:03 pm

That's a bummer, but I'm glad you didn't do worse. Guys break their necks over smaller pratfalls.

I hope the rest of the season goes better.

BTW: Nice looking blind!
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Heal up soon there mister!
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:03 pm

:) Thanks to all for the good thoughts. I'm actually doing fine. A few stitches in the palm can't keep a hunter down can it? Truth is the tetanus shot they gave me was almost the worst. As I was driving from the ER back to camp, my throat started to swell. It felt like something was stuck in my throat all of a sudden. I turned around to head back to the ER and stopped at the first drugstore I came to and got some benadryl and popped a couple and was on the mend by the time I got back to the docs. They gave me a shot of steroids and 20 minutes later all was normal and I was back at camp swapping stories with the guys. No more tetanus shots for me now.....

The ruts over here in East TN but just getting in full swing out west so Thur. night I'm driving 5 hours west near Memphis (yes TN is a wide state) to catch the rut out there and hunt with my west TN buds. Shooting house is staying at home but my Savage 99 is making the trip :).

Funny thing about the hunting is the fact that I enjoy the comrady at camp and visiting with my hunting buds almost as much as the hunt. The kind words you guys who, don't know me from Adam, makes me proud to be a member of this fraternity.....

Return to General Discussions