Tree stand hunting question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ugnasty77

Tree stand hunting question

Postby Ugnasty77 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:47 pm

I just started hunting out of a tree stand recently, and have taken shots a couple deer with my bow, but i keep going under them. I have heard from different sources that you should aim lower on the deer, but this makes no sense to me, if im missing low, wont aiming lower make it worse. Any help is appreciated.

JOEL

RE: Tree stand hunting question

Postby JOEL » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:48 pm

you need to bend at the waist when you shoot and you need to practice shooting from your stand
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Could be a couple things.  You could be aiming low to begin with, your angle could be not what you think it is, or you are misjudging the distance (which is probably the #1 factor when missing deer).  I'd try getting a target out, getting in a tree stand or an elevated position and shoot the normal way you are doing and see what happens.  Then go down and see how far it actually is...See if you are misjudging the distance.  Also, the distance won't be the same from the foot of the tree to the deer, than from what you are at in the tree to the deer.  Have to remember what you learned in math class about figuring out the distance of a triangle! :D

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:13 pm

You may be aiming too low.  I'm guessing you dont have a rangefinder, but if you did, you may find that the deer is actually farther away than you may think.  As suggested above, practicing from the treestand is a good idea.

stormshooter4

Postby stormshooter4 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:35 pm

Switch to a pendulum sight. Best thing in the world. Set it up so it's dead on at 20 yrds and you'll be good out to 30 depending on what bow and arrows you're using.
There's nothing like being in the outdoors. Work is boring!

active NWTF member

NRA member

Hardwater nut

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:38 am

Ugnasty77,

My two cents.

How far are you up? 14, 15, 20, 25 ft. ?

The higher up you go the steeper you angle. The vital section on the animal gets smaller as well. If you are overcompensating by aiming low it will be even more so at higher stand heights cause the arrow will have less "arc" than from a lower elevation. This also will become more acute the closer the deer is to you.

Do you have a good idea of the ranges you are shooting? 10, 20 , 30 yards? Realistically and depending on you comfortable shooting diastance 20-30 yrds is the max.

Do you step off trees or other objects around your stand so you have a pretty good idea of how far you are actually shooting. Maybe tie off different colored ribbons on different trees at different yardages to help you remember how far the deer really is when it does come walking through.

Things look different from treestands than on the ground. To me they always look farther than they really are. I have had problems of overshooting in the past which is opposite your problem.

Someone mentioned getting a range finder and I highly recommend that. I got one this year and when I have remembered to use it I have been dead on.

I've missed more than I have connected so hang in there. Don't get discouraged and learn from your mistakes.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:56 am

I have racked up my share of misses in my bow hunting "career" and they fall into two categories.

Short range shots (inside of 10 yds) that have gone over the deer's back and long range shots (beyond 20 yds) that have gone under the deer's belly.

The cause of my short range misses has been a failure to settle in. It's easy to get excited and rush the shot at those ranges.

The cause of my long range misses has been the failure to properly range the deer and my tendancy to drop my arm and look over the bow at the shot. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:29 am

I totally agree jph, rushing the shot will make a bowhunters practice perfect shot, a perfect miss! I know all too well, I've missed my share!                                                                              Ugnasty; Shooting low at a deer's vitals also help's when they try to jump the string.                                                                                                                8uck5nort; So when your shooting from a higher angle, you shoot a little high to compensate for the greater angle? This way your arrow will pass through both lungs?  
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:02 am

Like mentioned above ----------
Know the distance to some objects ( trees , a bush , etc ) . Then you can estimate the distance to the deer . Or , estimate in 10 yard increments .
Like Joel said , BEND AT THE WAIST ! Keep you bow arm parallel to your body . Many misses are caused by dropping your bow arm .
Practice from elevated positions . I have a 10' ladder stand in my back yard that I shoot from .
Semper Fi !

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 am

When i first started hutning whitetail with a bow some time ago i missed a few deer, by shoting under the deer...

I found two reasons why..this might help...

1. the arrow head weight was not matched to my practce arrow and i was to new to the sport to realize that i needed to practice with my broad head before going afield....

this is probably not the reason since today there is a lot more info out there for beginners to get a good setup before going afield...

2. I would try to look to see where the arrow was going before the shot was finished - therefore pulling my head and dropping the bow...usually the bow would shoot low and left a little...

Know i set up my bow so i shoot with both eyes open looking thru the peep and imake sure not to drop my arm until  see the arrow hit the deer..

just my two cents but you are probably just excited and tring to see where you arrow is hitting before it gets there...need to learn to follow thru

Next

Return to General Discussions