News Flash re. Carbon Clothing!!!

JPH

News Flash re. Carbon Clothing!!!

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 am

I was at work today and the P.D. bomb guys were using our building to work their sniffing dogs. I asked if wrapping the material in carbon cloth would keep the dogs from detecting it. Their answer made me feel a lot better anout the $100 I just spent on Scent-Lok!

They said that a southern university did a study in which dogs were sent out to detect dope, explosives and human cadavers. They found that when the material was sealed in carbon cloth it was virtually undetectable.

A couple of qualifiers: 1) They were not able to recall the university in question, so I cannot confirm this. 2) They used the term "sealed", which we cannot do with ourselves in the field. 3) One of the cops was an avid bow hunter and he has not yet sprung for carbon clothing of his own.

All and all, I think it is promising for those of us who have sunk money into this stuff. Have any of you ever heard of this study? Maybe we can track it down.

mhouck06

RE: News Flash re. Carbon Clothing!!!

Postby mhouck06 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:23 pm

wow.. thats great to hear, ive never heard of the study but i would love to find out more about it. I bought the scent lok full season this year, $220 dollars, never had more deer come closer to me than this past season. I did do a lot more scouting, but i dont think it was all the scouting. best example, I had a nice 8 point come in he circled up wind, my guess to scent check, when he got up wind, he turned towards me, put his nose up and started walking right towards me, as i got ready to shoot, I had a 6 point sneak up behind me, im guessing it saw me draw for the 8 point, it stomped, i looked at it and then both the 6 point and 8 point just stood there, i was at full draw and could do nothing. needless to say, i had both of them right under me and had the only reason i got busted was because I was spotted drawing back. but let me know if you find anything on that study. ill do my best to locate it too. im not on here much any more, busy with college, but if you find anything shoot me an email.

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:00 pm

Ive heard of something similar to this, don't know if it is the same or not. I heard about it when those people were trying to sue scent lok.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:19 pm

ORIGINAL: Goose

Ive heard of something similar to this, don't know if it is the same or not. I heard about it when those people were trying to sue scent lok.

Well during that period I heard talk of a test where tracking dogs were able to follow a guy wearing carbon lined clothing. Apparently the dogs had no problem. But if you ask me, that proves nothing. I do not wear the stuff to keep deer from tracking me, I wear it to keep them from smelling my human odor while on stand.

From what I understand this was a different study. It sounds like the point behind this study was to determine if these things could be hidden from dogs with carbon. I do not think it was intended to be used for or against Scent-Lok. Which to me, makes it more credible.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:56 am

I believe carbon clothing absorbs scent, no doubt about it. But what i dont get is that the amount of carbon put in these suits is very minimal at best. If anyone remembers the old army MOPP chemical suits made from carbon you would be completely covered in black carbon when you took them off as they were loaded with the stuff.

Also to remove odors from carbon it has to be heated to a very hot temp, like 1200f(not sure on this could be wrong).  No dryer even gets close to this temp and if it did all you would have left is a pile of ashes.

I have a carbon suit as well and just from my personal experience with it i will never use it again. I take great care of my Browning XPO clothing(scent wise) and got busted way way more times when wearing scent lok and following the manufacturers care directions to a tee.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:09 am

I have worn MOPP suits while hunting and IMO they trump Scent-Lok. Hot and bulky but more effective and much cheaper. The problem is, they used to be easy to find as surplus, but now are hard to find. So I have gone to Scent-Lok.

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:58 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

I have worn MOPP suits while hunting and IMO they trump Scent-Lok. Hot and bulky but more effective and much cheaper. The problem is, they used to be easy to find as surplus, but now are hard to find. So I have gone to Scent-Lok.

Ex-Navy from the 80's and I also have worn CBR aka MOPP style suits from GITMO training off the coast of Cuba. Talk about hot and uncomforatable, I felt like I almost drown in my own sweat.

How in the world do you hunt in those things. Hats off cause I could never do it. 

Has anyone ever used just a carbon powder on "regular" clothes? Does it work or just make a mess? I even toyed with the idea of grinding up carbon/zeolite and using that. It is for fish tank filters cuase it is much cheaper. Thoughts. 
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:58 am

The new J-list chem suits should be even better as they dont get you covered in carbon, But still hot.

Either way, once the carbon has absorbed scent how do you get it out without turning your clothes to ashes??

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:12 am

Good point PrarieShadow. Sooner or later the finite amount of carbon in the clothes will bind/filter only so much and then what?

That is one of the reasons I thought about sprinkling powder on just regular clothes, wearing and then washing them out, thus taking the absorbed oders away. Recharge by sprinkling fresh powder.

Only problem is does it work that way or just make a mess?
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:03 am

I guess i can only answer half your question. Will it work? i dont know, will it make a mess? Asolutely!

It seems like it would need to be adhered to the material or in between 2 layers of fabric for it to stay put and spread throughout the garmet.

How fine can you get carbon powder? Could you add it to a scent killer and spray it on maybe making it stick because its wet???? 

Also if sprinkling carbon on your suit did work, wouldnt baking soda do the same??

All kinds of options here!!!!

Next

Return to Clothing