Best slug guns

Squirrelhawker

RE: Best slug guns

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:01 am

ORIGINAL: Dave

Checked the scope seems ok, not dropped everything tight,worked ok on my 12ga last year. I will try the different loads you listed. Why back cap off two turns? I,ve always cranked it tight.

Thanks

The way it was explained to me as a young lad, was that some slug gun barrels must be able to move ever so slightly as they discharge. Think of cracking a whip. Screwing them down tight prevents this and can actually effect accuracy. Just a notch or two, no more. Those of us with lots of gray hair in slug country remember all the tinkering that we had to do in order to squeeze all the accuracy out of the slug technology of the day.

Dave

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:02 am

Oops. answered within your post. Need more coffee...

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Squirrehawker, thanks for the advise about backing the cap of..did about 2 clicks. Hitting a pie plate at 100 yards now. Also changed to Winchester Supreme Platlnim tips in 260 grain sabots. That will gets me throught this gun season. Gafrage, also took your advise and didn't shoot 30 rounds at one time. My shoulder thanks you!

beagleman23

Postby beagleman23 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:58 am

I don't care for the weight of the H&R's, single shot capacity or it's recoil but they are accurate.  Ithaca's can be accurate but were finicky in what they liked to shoot(lightfields only) plus I don't think they're in business.  I have a browning Abolt 12ga that shoots great and doesn't kick bad but my new favorite is a custom Remington 1100 in the 20ga.  My gunsmith alters the action so it shoots 3" mags and pins the barrel with a removable screw for accuracy.  He drills and taps the reciever for a 4 hole weaver mount(1 being the screw that goes into the barrel sleeve.  I shoot Federal Barnes expanders in 3/4 oz which were unfortunately replaced by 5/8oz expanders which don't seem to be quite as accurate.  The gun will shoot a 3" group at 100 yards if I let the barrel cool(5-15 mins depending on aoutside temp.) between shots.  As with any rifled slug barrel, keep it clean or you'll be disappointed as your asking a lot of a little piece of plastic(sabot).

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:13 pm

I have been shooting Rifled Slugs through my rifled barrel for a few years now . It hasn't been a problem as my mother gave me something to help clean out the bore several years ago . It was a jar of elbow grease .
Semper Fi !

tedicast

Postby tedicast » Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:40 pm

After shooting Rem 870's for the previous 20 years, 2 years ago I bought a fully rifled 12 gauge barrel for my Encore. I have it topped with a Leupold Vari-X 2 and it is more accurate then I am with Lightfield 2 3/4", 1 1/4 ounce Hybrid EXP's. At 50 yards it consistently shoots 1 ragged hole, and at 100 yards, If I do my part it shoots about 1 1/2 " groups. I love the way the Encore carries and handles. The downfall is the recoil at the bench. It is brutal.

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:16 am

ORIGINAL: Dave

Squirrehawker, thanks for the advise about backing the cap of..did about 2 clicks. Hitting a pie plate at 100 yards now. Also changed to Winchester Supreme Platlnim tips in 260 grain sabots. That will gets me throught this gun season. Gafrage, also took your advise and didn't shoot 30 rounds at one time. My shoulder thanks you!

Good news! It's no fun when you can't trust the gun. Been there.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:35 pm

What's the twist rate in your 870? If it's like 1:32, the Hornadys might be too fast (1900 fps), try the Lightfield EXP. They fly at about 1500 fps and are very forgiving, but they still put a massive whammie on deer.

Deldeerhunter

Postby Deldeerhunter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:12 am

Actually just posted a thread about my slug guns.I have used a Rem 870 wingmaster for the past 30 years.I have went from the 28 inch smooth bore..to a deerslayer barrell..to a rifled choke tube deer slayer barrell.I have killed alot of deer in 30 years but until recently I think I have lost it...lol..so I bought a new H&R 20guage Slug gun..just waiting for the scope to be put on at the shop before i can take it out to shoot.I hear it should shoot 2 inch groups easily at 150 yards and shoot well at 200 yards.I have been shooting the Brennekes Green Slugs this year and in the past the MP's...they shoot right thru a deer at 50 yards..but seem to fall to earth at 75.I think I have been shooting past my range.

Bigr

Postby Bigr » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:21 am

This is my Tack driver !

PreviousNext

Return to Slug Guns