The Essence of Hunting

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
GTOHunter

RE: The Essence of Hunting

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:59 am

So far this year I haven't shot a Doe or Buck yet but I have enjoyed seeing where we have trimmed up several old logging roads,planted 6 beautiful Food Plots that the deer have been working heavily and just enjoying being outside in the woods away from the hustle and bustle of work! [;)]

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:08 am

I hunt in order to participate in the grand scheme of nature.  I am a forester/biologist/educator and live on a farm as well. I do many of the things that most rural people do; grow a garden, hunt, fish, cut my own firewood, and in general live on the land.  I have been consumed by the study of nature, rural living, and the outdoors since I was a child. I dislike cities and crowded suburban areas. When it comes to deer hunting, I have never been happy with just the hunting of deer, I have to know about them, to see them, to read about them, to study them.  Which is why I really enjoy Deer and Deer Hunting magazine so much, its delves into the biology of deer as much as the hunting of them. As long as there are  whitetail deer in the landscape and I am breathing oxygen, I will be part and parcel of their environment, as they are of mine.  These gracreful creatures enrich our lives beyond measure.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:12 am

It's nice to know there are folks out there that are as "crazy" as I am!

Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:25 pm

I hunt for lot`s of reasons, some I can express, some I can`t because I either cannot find the words, or else, it would be like trying to explain a color to someone who`s always been blind....just not possible.

I hunt because my heart always races when I see deer. Because I love the times I`m able to outwit them, and wind up close to them. I love smoothing their coat as I kneel next to them after I`ve killed them....I don`t harvest them, I kill them. I hunt because I love being in the last of the wild places. Love being out in the cold when I could be in the warmth of the house in front of the television. I love the sunrises and sunsets in the woods, or in the field. I cannot even describe how my heart nearly comes up in my throat when I hear the steady crunch of what can only be, hooves approaching in the leaves, or on the frost covered ground. I hunt because it takes me back to a time when American`s had to hunt to put food on the table, a time when American`s were much more self-reliant. I hunt because I love seeing all the wildlife I see when I`m on stand. I hunt because I love handling firearms, ammunition and knives. I hunt because it put`s me in touch, whether in the flesh, or on the web, with some of the finest people on this planet. I hunt because, in this Country, even the comman man can pursue game, and I`m as common as they come. I hunt because it put`s me squarely in God`s most magnificant cathedral, it gives me time to sit on stand, and hear that "small, still Voice". I hunt because I know every time I kill, I`ve re-entered the "circle of life", and I`m again a participant in the most basic, even if sometimes brutal, routine on the planet, securing meat. I hunt because I simply love the taste of batter coated, fried venison tenderloin steak, and as I like to say before every meal......let us prey.

Big Buck Daddy

Postby Big Buck Daddy » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:56 pm

AMEN!!!  Thank you hunter480, you said what a lot of people feel!  And you said it was class.  It gave me goosebumps and made me proud to be a sportsman!  I am proud that I'm teaching my kids to love the outdoors as much as I do!  THANK YOU!
You can do anything you want, but you'll eventually have to answer to THE MAN for it!

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:06 pm

Agreed, well said Hunter480!

RatherBeHuntin24/7

Postby RatherBeHuntin24/7 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:15 pm

ORIGINAL: hunter480

I hunt for lot`s of reasons, some I can express, some I can`t because I either cannot find the words, or else, it would be like trying to explain a color to someone who`s always been blind....just not possible.

I hunt because my heart always races when I see deer. Because I love the times I`m able to outwit them, and wind up close to them. I love smoothing their coat as I kneel next to them after I`ve killed them....I don`t harvest them, I kill them. I hunt because I love being in the last of the wild places. Love being out in the cold when I could be in the warmth of the house in front of the television. I love the sunrises and sunsets in the woods, or in the field. I cannot even describe how my heart nearly comes up in my throat when I hear the steady crunch of what can only be, hooves approaching in the leaves, or on the frost covered ground. I hunt because it takes me back to a time when American`s had to hunt to put food on the table, a time when American`s were much more self-reliant. I hunt because I love seeing all the wildlife I see when I`m on stand. I hunt because I love handling firearms, ammunition and knives. I hunt because it put`s me in touch, whether in the flesh, or on the web, with some of the finest people on this planet. I hunt because, in this Country, even the comman man can pursue game, and I`m as common as they come. I hunt because it put`s me squarely in God`s most magnificant cathedral, it gives me time to sit on stand, and hear that "small, still Voice". I hunt because I know every time I kill, I`ve re-entered the "circle of life", and I`m again a participant in the most basic, even if sometimes brutal, routine on the planet, securing meat. I hunt because I simply love the taste of batter coated, fried venison tenderloin steak, and as I like to say before every meal......let us prey.

I was thinking about saying a few things on the topic.. but your a tough act to follow. well said

schlupis

Postby schlupis » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Hunter480 great post

Ugnasty77

Postby Ugnasty77 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:13 pm

Yes sir, hunter480 hit the nail on the head.

richtaber

Postby richtaber » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:23 am

hunter480, your essay should be in a collection of inspirational writings!

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions