2012 Gun Season Log

umpiremark

Re: 2012 Gun Season Log

Postby umpiremark » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:29 am

"That buck is a trophy in my book, they all are to me."

Any deer a hunter can harvest with a clean shot, a clean kill and a rewarding recover, is a trophy! Any deer that can be harvested that way with family, friends and great fellowship is a HUGE trophy.

We all want big horns. We see them plasterd on magazine covers, articles and countless "hunting" shows. The reality of life in the woods is, we hunt with friends and family, we hunt because we love the sport of it and we are proud - and satisfied - by the successes. The success of our friends, our close family and of our own skills.

I taught my son this from the beginning. One day I hope to teach a grandson that same thought process. The doe I took in October, found with my son and the cammradrie and fellowship of everyone in camp after that, proves why we deer hunt ... hunting with respect!

Congrats to you DairyLand!! And everyone that took a deer this year, as well!!
One day my ship will come in!! My luck, I'll be at the airport.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Absolutely Mark, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Its all about the adventure that gets you there. For me, I like to feel that I earned my kills. I put in the time in the woods on cold crappy days and went home empty handed on many days, and when It all comes down to that minute before I pull the trigger, all that time and effort sitting freezing my can off and not seeing anything for days, even weeks, becomes the epic adventure only I can appreciate. Anyways, Thats a fine deer Dairyland. Bet you can't wait to get some of those steaks on a grill :)
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:25 pm

Good for you DairyLand. A well earned deer during a tough, slow hunt.

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:24 pm

I appreciate all the kind words fellas, and Jslotter you are right, I can't wait to get some of those backstraps on the grill! :) I hope all of you have had a successful season of your own; whether you harvested a deer or not, or just got to spend time with close friends and family, this really is a special time of the year.

Umpiremark, I can definitely appreciate your comments and thoughts. I think you are teaching your son some great lessons that will stay with him his entire life. My wife is currently pregnant with out first child, and I know I can't wait to teach him or her about the woods and what hunting has done for me in my life.

Hats off to you guys Dan Salmon, Umpiremark, and Jslotter; thanks for all the great comments and I wish you guys nothing but the best in all your future hunts.

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:37 pm

He works for me. I don'r know any good recipes for bones.... ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:44 pm

kellory wrote:He works for me. I don'r know any good recipes for bones.... ;)

Thanks kellory, I'm quite happy with him. My wife and I are happy to have the meat, and I am tanning his hide to make some gloves out of.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:51 am

Now that is really cool... I've started doing eupropean mounts on my own, and i'd really like to tan at least 1 deer hide to hang on the wall as a backdrop for the mounts...

how hard is it to tan a hide yourself?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:06 pm

Deebz wrote:Now that is really cool... I've started doing eupropean mounts on my own, and i'd really like to tan at least 1 deer hide to hang on the wall as a backdrop for the mounts...

Tanning your own hides is very rewarding. I wouldn't say that it's hard, but it is very labor intensive. However, as you go through each process you really start to see the fruits of your labor come together with each and every step. If you stick with it, and put the effort in, you will end up with a beautiful hide. It is very rewarding to know that the gloves or jacket you are wearing were made with your own two hands.

Check it out and see if it would be something you'd be interested in. If you stick with it, you'll be very happy to see the results in the end.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:28 pm

DairyLandDeerHunter wrote:
Deebz wrote:Now that is really cool... I've started doing eupropean mounts on my own, and i'd really like to tan at least 1 deer hide to hang on the wall as a backdrop for the mounts...

Tanning your own hides is very rewarding. I wouldn't say that it's hard, but it is very labor intensive. However, as you go through each process you really start to see the fruits of your labor come together with each and every step. If you stick with it, and put the effort in, you will end up with a beautiful hide. It is very rewarding to know that the gloves or jacket you are wearing were made with your own two hands.

Check it out and see if it would be something you'd be interested in. If you stick with it, you'll be very happy to see the results in the end.

I'm sure there are several (myself included) who would like to know how to do it. Perhaps you could do a build along, and show the process? complete with pictures, and directions? As you do your's of course. Why should I let that hide go to waste? ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

DairyLandDeerHunter

Postby DairyLandDeerHunter » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:18 pm

kellory wrote:
DairyLandDeerHunter wrote:

I'm sure there are several (myself included) who would like to know how to do it. Perhaps you could do a build along, and show the process? complete with pictures, and directions? As you do your's of course. Why should I let that hide go to waste? ;)

That would be fun. I'll put a set of directions together, and see if I can't get some pictures taken in the process. Otherwise, I know of some very informative videos that follow the same process I use. I'll see if I can't track down the links to those as well. I'll try to post some steps on here as soon as I can.

PreviousNext

Return to Wisconsin