News Flash re. Carbon Clothing!!!

PrairieShadow

RE: News Flash re. Carbon Clothing!!!

Postby PrairieShadow » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 am

one side note: Activated Carbon has to be heated to 1472F to be reactivated. Average dryer temp is well below 200F.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:45 am

Good point about the baking soda. I guess there is only one way to find out. Try it and see what happens.

Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:25 pm

It gets into the whole question of regenerating vs. refreshing.

I suspect that carbon lined clothing can be refreshed to some degree with a dryer, but the garment will be less and less effective over time.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:16 am

Also would the time of effectiveness be effected by the time the garmet was hanging in the store soaking up stink?

JPH

Postby JPH » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:51 am

ORIGINAL: PrairieShadow

Also would the time of effectiveness be effected by the time the garmet was hanging in the store soaking up stink?

I've always wondered that myself. While it would add to the already high cost, I think they should be sold sealed in plastic.

...but I suppose that would work against the argument that they can be "regenerated".

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:50 am

Agreed. The Army's new J-list carbon chemical suit comes sealed in an vacuum sealed bag. I think that says something about how they SHOULD be sold.

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:36 pm

I haven't invested in a carbon suit because of the same concerns. I do use carbon gloves and facemasks and I notice that when I put them in the dryer I can smell the earth scent I spray down with in the morning. That tells me it is absorbing the odor and releasing it in the dryer. How long will it continue, I don't know. I also heard that it should be in the dryer for 4 hours. Also not sure how valid that is but I do run them through 2 full cycles by themselves.
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:57 pm

I do the same. I also notice that they have that "new" smell back (kind of a faint antiseptic odor) after a few dryer cycles.

I always watch for sales and I just bought a new Scent-Lok suit for $100 at Cabelas. Still expensive. But when you compare it to all the other stuff we as hunters fork out for, it's not so bad. Especially if it gives me an edge.

RNC

Postby RNC » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:11 pm

I dont know anything about the study you mentioned at the start of this thread JPH but I do know that either in 07 or 06 whenever the Scent Lock law suit started a local news station and a memebr of the St Paul PD K9 unit  (SPPD K9 unit has a very good reputation pretty much nation wide)  did a little story. They put someone in full carbon hunting clothes then had the person hide in the various boxes and what not on the training course.  The K9 officer had little trouble smelling out the "bad guy" in the carbon clothes.
Of course this is hard. It's supposed to be hard, thats what makes it great. If it was easy everyone would do it!

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:59 am

ORIGINAL: RNC

I dont know anything about the study you mentioned at the start of this thread JPH but I do know that either in 07 or 06 whenever the Scent Lock law suit started a local news station and a memebr of the St Paul PD K9 unit  (SPPD K9 unit has a very good reputation pretty much nation wide)  did a little story. They put someone in full carbon hunting clothes then had the person hide in the various boxes and what not on the training course.  The K9 officer had little trouble smelling out the "bad guy" in the carbon clothes.

Was the study scientific or just a demonstration for the cameras? Did the same dog also look for a guy that was not in a carbon suit? Was the dog tracking scent on the ground or airborne scent as a drug sniffing dog would?

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing