breeding phase question

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
habs

breeding phase question

Postby habs » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:26 pm

just a quick question for those who know, i've been watching does from my house and for the last week they will be eating from a pile of carrots i put out, then look into the woods and then slowly walk towards the woods. will a buck stay in the woods and call her in? is that possible it's that easy for them ? we have way more does than bucks and because there is more competition for the does to get bread than the bucks to breed is this a possible scenario? hope i did not embarass myself with this question.

mhouck06

Re: breeding phase question

Postby mhouck06 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:38 pm

I have mostly seen it the other way.. I will not say that what you are describing cant happen, because I dont know. A buck most times will seek a doe that is in heat. With that being said.. usually when the does out number the bucks, the chasing and movement of bucks is seen less because it is easier for them to find doe thats ready, plus there is less competition with other bucks. Regardless, if there is one thing I can say about hunting deer is, you never really know what is going to happen.. just about anything can happen when you least expect it..
Dont ever be embarassed about a question.. At least you are asking and trying to learn!

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:12 pm

Not likely. Also, if the does are in groups, it is most likely, none of them are in heat. When a doe starts to come into heat, she commonly be by herself or at least seperated from the group. Once bred, she will rejoin the family unit.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:33 pm

More than likely there was a deer back in the woods. Probably an inmature buck scent checking the does. It's really hard to tell.

I've heard, the doe commonly seeks the healthiest buck (to give her young the best chance of survival) and in herds with good ratios (1:1) there is more competition.

Return to General Discussions