Button buck/shed

Share your photos of trophies and just plain strange deer!
crawdad

Button buck/shed

Postby crawdad » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:00 am

shot this deer december 1st. Is this typical for a button buck or would these scabs be more typical of a shed?
Attachments
deerhead.jpg
deerhead.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 885 times

kellory

Re: Button buck/shed

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:24 am

To make it easier to see....
deerhead.jpg
deerhead.jpg (694.17 KiB) Viewed 882 times
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:44 am

It's a little hard to see the scale, but it does not look like a button buck to me. The open area appears too large. How big was the deer?
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:23 am

looks like that deer has shed to me...

I wouldn't think a button buck would have that large of an area exposed if it dropped its nubs
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:09 am

Do buttons even drop this time of year?...I know here they don't...or at least I've never seen it
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 am

msbadger wrote:Do buttons even drop this time of year?...I know here they don't...or at least I've never seen it

There's prolly a lot it depends on. But I wonder how we'd really know much about wild button bucks dropping their buttons. I knew an old game warden once who had a tiny shed he asked me to make into a tie-tack. It was less than 1½-inch long, but that's more of an antler, not so much a button. (Ht told me it was the world's record shed for smallness -- but then I found a burr shed from what was a broken antler. It was only `1" long.) :D

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Return to Photo Corner