Neighbors adopted pit bull

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sierra

Re: Neighbors adopted pit bull

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 pm

I am glad my dog is just a rottweiler. They were bred for pulling carts and a little shepherding. Later guard dogs. His best friend? My cat. They sleep together, play together. I do love rotts. I have never in my life encountered a mean one, despite "reports".

I am sure I will be chewed up for this post, but I stand by it. My dog is just sweet as ever. He got attacked and bitten by a corgi and all he did was yelp and look at me like, "why?" as I was pulling the other dog off of him. No, he's not a guard dog, but makes a great watch dog. Most importantly, he's our family dog. We mind him every moment. He's also an inside dog, which I am sure may make a difference.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Scoutfish

Postby Scoutfish » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:23 am

You want a great watch dog?

Get a couple Dachschunds! No, they sure ain't no guard dogs, but just as sensitive and as aloud as any alarm system you can buy! :)

I have a 8 year old Dachschund and a 4 year old Basset/Blue Tick mix.

The Dachschund will bark his head off to show you that he is bigger than he looks.

THe Basset/Blue Tick has never met a stranger in his life. First time he ever sees you - he's damn excited you "finally" came to see him.

He wouldn't bark at all except the dachschund does first, which gets him excited too.

NOw, wether friend of foe...you will not sneak up to my house! Neither do cats, birds, spiders, leaves, pollen particles, warm breazes, etc...LOL!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:47 am

I spent most of this past w/e at my farm and did not see hide nor hair of the pitt bull or the neighbor. Hope the solution is not a temporary one.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:18 am

Sierra wrote:I am glad my dog is just a rottweiler. They were bred for pulling carts and a little shepherding. Later guard dogs. His best friend? My cat. They sleep together, play together. I do love rotts. I have never in my life encountered a mean one, despite "reports".

I am sure I will be chewed up for this post, but I stand by it. My dog is just sweet as ever. He got attacked and bitten by a corgi and all he did was yelp and look at me like, "why?" as I was pulling the other dog off of him. No, he's not a guard dog, but makes a great watch dog. Most importantly, he's our family dog. We mind him every moment. He's also an inside dog, which I am sure may make a difference.

I don't think that you can really pigeon hole any breed of animal into a behavior pattern. In response to your rott being super friendly, my brother has a rott that I won't go near. I'm a big dude, and this thing is just about as tall as I am when he stands up on his hind legs... He's also a very aggressive and dominant dog. He was tied off to my little bro's 4 wheeler and my wife went up to say hello... he sat motionless and stared her down, then as soon as she look away he lunged at her. I don't think he was going to bite, his mouth was closed, but he did move that 4 wheeler about a foot and half with it turned off but in gear... Like I said, I don't think he was going to bite, but a 100 lb dog hitting you in the chest is gonna cause some damage... especially with my wife's brittle bone issue...

At the same time, I've met rotts that seem to be just like yours... First time i met them they were all rubbing up on my legs and showing me their bellies...

I really believe its a product of their training. My bro's dog has always been the biggest dog around, and he keeps him as a guard dog for his house. He is trained very well though... at just a word from my brother (or my dad, who owns the house my bro lives in) the dog will heel immediately...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Previous

Return to Off Topic