The worst season ever.

bps1

The worst season ever.

Postby bps1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:22 pm

How Has the season been for everyone else? I live in S. VT and this has been the worst season I can remember. No Deer. No does. No bucks. No tracks. No rubs. No scrapes. What is going on? Oh, and I forgot, no food. I have hunted in Vt all my life and when you can hunt in prime spots and see nothing and no sign, something is very wrong. What are you guys finding? Thanks

Jslotter

Re: The worst season ever.

Postby Jslotter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:27 pm

Scout harder. No food could be one of many reasons you are not seeing any deer.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

bps1

Postby bps1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:17 pm

Jslotter wrote:Scout harder. No food could be one of many reasons you are not seeing any deer.

Easy for you to say you are not even close to hunting conditions here in VT. Scouting is not the answer. Proper Management is. VT Fish & Wildlife have proven themselves over the last decade to be inept.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 pm

So it's the government's fault your season did not go well? Like I said, scout harder.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

New England Hunter

Postby New England Hunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:53 am

Fish and Games fault? Come on man..... With a lack of food in your area it is likely the deer have changed their travel patterns and found food elswhere, and most likely it is not far from where you are sitting/hunting. No food = No deer. They are not going to stay in the same area waiting for food to appear simply because it was there last year - they are going to find food somewhere else.

I had and am having a lot of luck in NH this year so unfortunatly I only got out in VT for opening weekend - I didn't see any deer but saw plenty of sign. I have hunted the same area in Windham county for over 20 years (my family has hunted it for over 100 years) and this year the sign was consistant with what I have seen in the past.

sacredhunter

Postby sacredhunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:13 pm

I will confirm your findings.

Someone from another state will not have any comprehension of the conditions here in VT.

My camp is up in the mountains. We did PLENTY of scouting, put in food plots, and covered a LOT of territory. We saw VERY little sign and no deer at all.

Down in the valley however, record deer were bing shot throughout the season....the only food was the cornfields in the valley. There were NO acorns, beechnuts, hickories or any mast in the mountains due to the late frost theis past spring and the drought thsis summer.

Not even the food plots could hold them in the higher elevations....

Return to Vermont