I want my own land?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: I want my own land?

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:17 am

You can see my road in one of the pics. That runs from the road behind me, to the polebarn/ cabin at the other end of the property. For a quick hunt, I will just pull up at the mouth to my road and walk in quiet. What you can't see in the pics is directly toward the entry road that my road joins, It lies directly behind me maybe 60 -80 yards(I have never paced it off) I didn't show it because nothing but squirrels or birds could come that way, except by my road, or across my road. not far beyond that road is the property line to the west.
Most often, I will drive in and park at the polebarn. The truck is surrounded by dense pines on three sides, and the polebarn and road on the fourth. The polebarn is two-story with a camper trailer attached, and can be heated, so coming in Friday night after work for a Saturday/Sunday hunt works pretty well, There is electric to the site, and there are propane and kerosene back-ups incase the power goes out. There will be a wood burning stove installed when I get enough parts and time to finish the job,
Since my property is mostly pass through territory, the only deer I would be disturbing, would be those on the land as I drive through, but it is almost all hunting land around my place, so deer wander through as they will. and by morning, the deer have forgotten me, if they heard me come through at all.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

JPH

Re: I want my own land?

Postby JPH » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:39 am

luvhuntin wrote:I`d love nothing more than to shoot big deer every year like the large landowners/ farmers/hunting personalities with 1000 or more acres to hunt do.

I'm not saying you can't kill a big buck on a small property. There have been some really nice deer taken near my Missouri ground over the years and I've had a few encounters with mature bucks myself. Nor am I saying that killing mature bucks is an automatic for the owners of big parcels. I'm just saying that the more hunting pressure an area gets, the lower your odds of connecting on a remarkable buck. If you are looking for antlers as a return on your investment, I'd say handing your money to a reputable outfitter who has the ability to control the pressure over a vast tract of land is the wiser way to go.

Previous

Return to General Discussions