TV HUNTS - STAGED OR REAL ?

The latest news from Deer & Deer Hunting magazine!
want2hunt

Re: TV HUNTS - STAGED OR REAL ?

Postby want2hunt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:55 pm

The only hunting show I really liked was 'The Huntley Way' which I think was canceled. Most seemed real and some of the deer he shot were does or smaller bucks (The size I would maybe have a chance of seeing on the public land I hunt).
-Brian

Postby 3212 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 am

I watched a show yesterday where they had 7,000 acres of prairie privately owned.They allow 8 bucks to be harvested per year.The deer are numerous and visible.It was about making the long shot.The hunter took a buck at 330 yards.It was interesting but not the reality of deer hunting for the rest of us.

sacredhunter

Postby sacredhunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:05 pm

You want REAL? : http://www.theoutfittertv.com/home.html. Fair chase only! ...Made in Vermont.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:47 am

So nice to drop back in and see the haters still hating on hunters who don't "hunt" the way some hunt.

Here's a brief synopsis of the posts on this thread:

"I'm a 'good' hunter because I hunt low fence, no bait, low tech, have to work hard for my deer, spend years chasing a 110" buck, hunt public land, might go years without seeing a decent buck." etc. And if you "don't hunt like me, then you're not hunting, a real hunter, you're a poser, and not worthy to be considered a hunter."

19 different BS excuses to hate someone who chooses to do things differently than you do.

But there is one common thread that wraps it all up for me. The new entitlement mentality that is taking the country by storm.

Nope, lets don't celebrate someone else's good fortune and success, let's all just hate them back down to the level we choose to sit on our fat lazy butts at.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

El Conquistador

Postby El Conquistador » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Hey BigIron, if you wanted to go to a new Mexican restaurant, and you asked 2 guys about whether or not it's good or bad, and one of those meat heads hates Mexican food and has never been there, and the other one has been there, who's advice are ya gonna take?

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Bighorn, I know exactly what you mean. I have been told that I'm not a hunter because I hunt deer with dogs and a shotgun loaded with buckshot, and I also hunt out of tree stands and shooting towers or shooting houses over food plots and corn, with a high powered rifle. As I've often explained, bait is in the eye of the beholder. Hunting the rut and using doe scent is baiting, hunting over acorns and other mast crops is baiting. altering a forest in any way is baiting, hunting ridge lines or fence rows and taking advantage of travel routes is baiting.

I see it this way, we are all hunters, and geography or laws make our methods different. Down here, it's impossible to spot and stalk through 4 to 6 feet of water in the swamps, and baiting or running dogs is the only method that allows us to even see a deer, much less kill one. If certain folks can only hunt with a muzzle loader in their state, and public land is their only option, then their perception of hunting is going to be much different from mine. We are all members of the same brotherhood, and whether one person's way is distinctly different than another's, it's still hunting. We need to present a united front against the anti-hunting segment, instead of bickering and pointing accusatory fingers at those who do something differently than ourselves.

If you want to watch a hunting program that is completely unscripted and not pre arranged, I suggest watching 'Own Your Own Adventures" with Randy Newburg, or watch Roger Raglin's show.. I know Roger's hunts may be edited for time restraints, but he has hunted here in SC with a couple of people that I know, and none of it was staged or edited to make the hunts appear to be anything other than what was shown on television.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:14 pm

rthomas4 wrote:Bighorn, I know exactly what you mean. I have been told that I'm not a hunter because I hunt deer with dogs and a shotgun loaded with buckshot, and I also hunt out of tree stands and shooting towers or shooting houses over food plots and corn, with a high powered rifle. As I've often explained, bait is in the eye of the beholder. Hunting the rut and using doe scent is baiting, hunting over acorns and other mast crops is baiting. altering a forest in any way is baiting, hunting ridge lines or fence rows and taking advantage of travel routes is baiting.

I see it this way, we are all hunters, and geography or laws make our methods different. Down here, it's impossible to spot and stalk through 4 to 6 feet of water in the swamps, and baiting or running dogs is the only method that allows us to even see a deer, much less kill one. If certain folks can only hunt with a muzzle loader in their state, and public land is their only option, then their perception of hunting is going to be much different from mine. We are all members of the same brotherhood, and whether one person's way is distinctly different than another's, it's still hunting. We need to present a united front against the anti-hunting segment, instead of bickering and pointing accusatory fingers at those who do something differently than ourselves.

If you want to watch a hunting program that is completely unscripted and not pre arranged, I suggest watching 'Own Your Own Adventures" with Randy Newburg, or watch Roger Raglin's show.. I know Roger's hunts may be edited for time restraints, but he has hunted here in SC with a couple of people that I know, and none of it was staged or edited to make the hunts appear to be anything other than what was shown on television.

Agreed. But it's not just geography and laws either. It's also personal preference. We have a lot of freedom here in this state to hunt however we want to within certain generous guidelines. For hunters of any stripe to denigrate other hunters of another stripe is silly and childish. It is a very childish/selfish behavior to want to dictate hunting methods to others, and even more so to decide that others are not "up to par" if they choose a different method. But hey some folks are never going to grow up.

It is entertaining though to watch people step all over themselves berating bait and high fences.... when they plant food plots, apple trees, use scents, or (one of my personal favorite hypocricies) hunt the edge of the only 10 acres of cover for miles.

You want to know what else I think is funny? These folks who want to only see "real" hunting on tv, and who think "real" hunting is only low fenced, no bait, no technology, only stick and string. I mean come on! How entertaining would that TV be????

"Ok, here I am, day 64 in year three of my quest to kill a deer... I know, it's been real tough watching these 64 episodes without seeing a deer to shoot. But oh how much fun have you had watching the leaves fall and the sun rise and set, and the occasional squirrel or rabbit???!!!! At least we are 'keeping it real' and 'fair chase/ethicly' hunting here on 'Boring As Watching Grass Grow HUNTING TV'!!!!!"

LAMFAO! :lol:
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Yep, and the folks who claim that just "being in the outdoors" is gratification, they don't "have to kill anything to enjoy the hunting experience". Bull sh*t!!!! If that's truly the case, why not just go out with a pair of binoculars and watch the songbirds, instead of actually taking a gun or bow!!!!!!! I hunt because I want to kill something, not to breath the fresh air, and fall asleep. To me a day of hunting without an opportunity to shoot something is a day of wasted energy. I at least want to see something even if I decline to shoot it!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:10 am

rthomas4 wrote:Yep, and the folks who claim that just "being in the outdoors" is gratification, they don't "have to kill anything to enjoy the hunting experience". Bull sh*t!!!! If that's truly the case, why not just go out with a pair of binoculars and watch the songbirds, instead of actually taking a gun or bow!!!!!!! I hunt because I want to kill something, not to breath the fresh air, and fall asleep. To me a day of hunting without an opportunity to shoot something is a day of wasted energy. I at least want to see something even if I decline to shoot it!!!!!!!!!

You should look these guys up! They are close to you and they might let you volunteer on the killing floor. Good luck!
http://www.manta.com/c/mm69smh/farish-slaughterhouse

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:50 am

Sorry, jph; but the page is not found. Considering that it's advertising (I assume from the page title) for a slaughter house; again I see that you like to take comments out of context and insinuate your own personal spin into the conversation. I specifically stated what I said as it pertains to hunting! Working on a slaughterhouse floor is a job, not hunting, thank you!
I have to ask, are you just an ass for the fun of it, are or you truly just that way??????????

PreviousNext

Return to Breaking News