questions....

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
heightman

Re: questions....

Postby heightman » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:28 am

Several years ago a friend of mine was sitting on the ground eating lunch {an Italian sub with oil} looked out in front of him and their was a Buck just walking slowly rigth towards him. He slowly laid his sandwhich on the wrapper next to him. Picked up his 12ga. and dropped the buck at 12 yrds. The Buck had to have smelled that sub but it did not bother him. I believe that if you hunt an area that has alot of "people" traffic all year round the deer are used to people and the different smells that go along with them.

DaleFromVirginia

Postby DaleFromVirginia » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:41 pm

I have the opportunity to come to Paoli, Oklahoma and hunt next year (December 2013). I have several questions:
1. How is the deer hunting around Paoli?
2. Is the land flat, rolling, hills?
3. What is the main food source? Is there much agriculture?
4. Are there plenty of trees for tree-stands or do I need a deer blind? Will climbers work or do I need lock-ons and/or ladder stands?
5. What kind of hardwoods/timber is there?
6. Can you use feeders and put out bait-corn?
7. Going to be there the last week of Dec 2013 so that looks like Bow season and also rifle season for does, is the correct?
8. 6 deer limit, 2 bucks and 4 does?
9. The land is supposed to be 200+ acres. Here in Virginia that is plenty of land, is that about the same there?
10. Are there bear in this area (Paoli)? I ask because where I live we are covered up with bear and so putting out a feeder for deer is useless because the bear destroy the feeders and keep the deer ran off.
11. How is the hog hunting?

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:32 pm

wish i could tell you DaleFromVirginia ... but i have only hunted ohio all my life
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:52 pm

Dalefromverginia, if a bear is wrecking your feeder, just post it suspended higher than he can get to, like a bear bag, or bear barrel. I hung one by a cable between two trees about 15-20 feet apart. at the center of the cable is a pulley. the feeder gets hung from the cable through the pulley and the end of the cable wraps and locks off to another tree, well off the ground with an "S" hook. It is simple to fill and service with a second rope to the "S" hook to lower it to ground level.
Sounds complicated, but it is very simple. The hardest part is installing the support cable. Use a climber for that part, and it is easy to do.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:38 pm

In the early years, gun hunting in Mich., bucks were all that you could shoot, (unless they had special doe areas) and while sitting on a stump wearing that old familiar red and black hunting garb, I had many does walk past me and not even notice me. Thats when I started thinking about bow hunting. You could shoot bucks or does and as close as I was to them I thought, thats got to be easy, HAH. It took me 4 years before I shot my first deer by bow. Compared to what they once were, these deer have evolved into smarter deer. You see now, they look up in trees, which in the early years, they never did.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Previous

Return to General Discussions