Needing some group thearapy.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
JPH

Re: Needing some group thearapy.

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:06 am

Sailfish wrote:
kellory wrote:I would suggest, you keep in touch with her, to make sure she is not being taken advantage of. )

This ^

Does she have any family you can contact?

I am a mandatory reporter so I would immediately report any suspicion of abuse, but I don't think this rises to that level.

She has kids in the area who visit her. I do not doubt that they are watching her closely and will see to her needs. I would guess that hunting rights are very low on their list of concerns. I think it is just a matter of the farmer paving the way for the eventual takeover by the hunting preserve. He farms their plots as well and I'm guessing that pays well.

But you are all right to ask those questions because in the end, the hunting is a very minor issue.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 am

JPH: I feel for you. That is a real bummer. It was that sort of thing that nearly had me giving up hunting a decade ago.

Get out asap and start looking for the new best spot. There's going to be something out there, and it can be better than what you had.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Rutnut

Postby Rutnut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:35 pm

JPH, That's a real bummer all around. However, you have such a great, refreshing, attitude. From the pictures you've posted this year, it seems your on your way to moving forward. You are very fortunate.

I have killed 99% of my deer on state land, and private is VERY hard to come by in my area. I struck gold many years ago and was offered permission to hunt several hundred acers...I was the only hunter. That lasted for about 5 years, then a gravel Co made an offer the owner couldn't refuse. I have also recently learned the land owner isn't doing well...really bummed me out. So I can relate to a degree.

Good luck with your search for hunting property. I'm sure things will work out in your favor. God bless the land owner.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 pm

Wow is all I can say to that. That is not supposed to happen in rural America. It`s too bad some people think their wallets or credit limit prove their good people.I can tell the visits with the landowner mean more than the hunting. as it should, maybe the Kids will find the time to set things straight yet, if not you will easily find another honey hole.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:31 am

I agree, if she has family they should be contacted if you happen to know how. My next-door neighbor deteriorated rapidly, and one day I came home to find her out in the cold, pretty late at night, holding armfuls of clothes, and she said she was waiting for her friend to take her to Florida. Inside she had all of her teacup collection packed up. She showed me pictures of the friend, who was obviously not really coming. Then she insisted on going back out in the cold. So, I called the police on the non-emergency number and explained the situation. Thankfully her grandson was located, as he is a firefighter. I stayed with her til police came. Next I knew, she was moved out. Sadly, I never heard any word on her condition.

You may want to do similar, so the local police are aware of her situation. This farmer sounds like a right as$, and I am sure you are fearful for this poor woman.

That said, I am also sorry for the loss of your honting area. It sounds like you had a terrific arrangement. Then this jerk has to mess up what's good. Shame. Glad your attitude about it is good.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:55 pm

Again, all valid concerns and my profession requires me to report any suspicions. The family is in contact with her.

But wait, it gets better!

Yesterday I learned that a deal on a cheap, landlocked 10 acre parcel on a river bottom will not work out because the farmer has second thoughts about granting an easement. Then today I moved an old friend out of his house because he has sold his 350 acre farm, where I have turkey hunted and fished, to a millionaire trophy hunter and land speculator from Illinois.

I'm really starting to think about a lease. Never thought I'd pay to hunt land that I did not own. Still don't know if I will....

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:39 pm

JPH wrote:Again, all valid concerns and my profession requires me to report any suspicions. The family is in contact with her.

But wait, it gets better!

Yesterday I learned that a deal on a cheap, landlocked 10 acre parcel on a river bottom will not work out because the farmer has second thoughts about granting an easement. Then today I moved an old friend out of his house because he has sold his 350 acre farm, where I have turkey hunted and fished, to a millionaire trophy hunter and land speculator from Illinois.

I'm really starting to think about a lease. Never thought I'd pay to hunt land that I did not own. Still don't know if I will....

JPH, My 9 acres is a work in progress, but there is room for another hunter, if you get stuck. It may not be up the the standards you are used to, but I'm sure we could trade some labor for access. A bit of a drive for you though.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:56 pm

if you need a litle thearapy this might help .... :)
Attachments
group.jpg
group.jpg (24.84 KiB) Viewed 546 times
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:12 pm

Kellroy, you are too kind! I'm afraid that the cost of gas would equal a down payment on a big chunk of prime Iowa hunting ground.

I'm just bitching. It sounds like it is the same all over.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Again, your not alone. I just lost one of my primo private places that I have taken many good bucks since I started hunting it in the late 70's. I was just lucky enough to take a nice 8pt Nov. 20 this season. It really hurts when you have hunted and learned and loved a place so long. Its like losing a good friend. On top of all that, with the way this deer hunting sport has grown, good hunting places are now hard to find, unless you have money, they are either bought up, or leased by outfitters and hunting clubs. With the condition of the way things are, our states should be acquiring more public land to hunt on.

You know what they say, ( all good things come to an end ), how true.
Would it be worth approching the family about purchasing the property? It would sure be nice to turn the tables on that farmer.
You are probably lucky to have hunted the place as long as you did being that the farmer was leasing it. Unless stipulated in a contract, the leaser has all the rights to it, even hunting. I saw once where a leasing farmer kept the land owner from hunting his own land because hunting was not excluded in the contract for the land owner to hunt it. Anyway, onward and forword.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions