Smokers? Ex-Smokers?

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Sierra

Re: Smokers? Ex-Smokers?

Postby Sierra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:11 pm

I am glad I didn't vow to quit when the Cubs win the world series!

I just needed to get it done, and I kept going back to it and making things harder for myself. Eventually I won't be thinking about it all the time and feeling weird. I already feel like I have more energy as well. I am going to go back to running as well, like I used to. I have this perpetual extra 15 lbs I need to lose since I quit running anyway, and now I will have no excuse. :-)

People are supportive at work, and no one invites me for a smoke. All I had to do was tell my one friend and she disseminated the news to the smoking crowd. Been walking around the office for a break instead. And munching on vegetables like a one-woman plague of locusts.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 pm

Sierra wrote:I am glad I didn't vow to quit when the Cubs win the world series!

I just needed to get it done, and I kept going back to it and making things harder for myself. Eventually I won't be thinking about it all the time and feeling weird. I already feel like I have more energy as well. I am going to go back to running as well, like I used to. I have this perpetual extra 15 lbs I need to lose since I quit running anyway, and now I will have no excuse. :-)

People are supportive at work, and no one invites me for a smoke. All I had to do was tell my one friend and she disseminated the news to the smoking crowd. Been walking around the office for a break instead. And munching on vegetables like a one-woman plague of locusts.

You will do just fine, Sierra. We all have something that could use some maintenance. I, for one, am trying to limit/ reduce my waistline. (something I have never needed to do before) But I am close to 50, (How the hell did that happen?) and thing change. You can do this. I have no doubt. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks, Kellory. :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Scoutfish

Postby Scoutfish » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:49 am

I used to weight 157 pounds when my wife and I started dating. I was 6'2'" tall and looked like a walking bean pole.

My wife even joked while patting my stomach that we needed to fatten me up just a bit.

Well, many things will cause you to gain weight: getting older which mean you metabolism slows down. Getting married which means you subconsciuosly stop trying so hard( you are not even aware of it) quitting smoking doesn't help you either.

I am now 6' 2 1/2" 265 pounds. Most people guess that I am around 200. Being tall hides alot of it.

When you stop smoking, you can turn to a snack to takes it place. I did , but that wasn't what really did it for me.

I just like to eat. Been that way before I ever smoked to start with. I could out eat every friend I had, but my metabolic rate was high enough that I just didn't gain weight.
Did I mention how that slows down as you get older?

So, I had a bout with cancer 3 years ago ( melanoma) Had a couple surgeries that put me at home recoving for 3 months.

So I'd wake up in the morning and peel potatoes, carrots, onions and drop them in a crock pot with celery, soup mix and a big ole pork roast.

I'd sit on my butt all day watching tv or playing on the computer. During that time, I'd be smelling that roast cook all day long. So I'd snack on this or that all day long too.

Come supper time, I'd cook a pot of rice and make some yeast rols to go along with the potatoes, carrots, and pork roast.

WEll, the day after my surgery, my doctor told me that cancer patients tend to lose weight and he warned me that I should try not to lose more than 20 poundsif I could help it.

When I went back for my 3 month post op check up....I had gained 27 pounds!

I had quit smoking about 2 1/2 months before my cancer was diagnosed.

SO I might have gained some weight due to quitting, but I think my biggest contributers were the fact I already liked to eat ( carbs are my favorite food group) and all that time spent at home eating while sitting on my butt.

But lets be honest, a few pounds never looked bad on anybody when it comes to women. Nobody wants to date/marry a bag of bones.

But lets be even more honest, sexy is an attitude and the way a woman acts, and nothing else.

Previous

Return to Off Topic