How much land do you need?

Discuss Quality Deer Management issues here!
cdn1

RE: How much land do you need?

Postby cdn1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:16 am

I agree 100% JPH, maybe we should change it to QDHE(quality deer hunting experiences) that is what we hope to gain form all of this. It is not necessarily about the size of the deer we harvest, it's more about the journey that we took to harvest it. Lets face it some guys will always be satisfied with killing the first deer they see. That is fine, if you are happy with that, for me I take pleasure in knowing that I will be improving the experience for myself and others I hunt with. Will I kill a the next world record? not likely but I might get the chance to shoot a better than average one for the area I hunt someday, and I hope to get more from the experience because of the steps we took to take a good deer.
If you own the property I say take pleasure in the chance to improve your own experiences.  cdn1

HiddenHornsRanch

Postby HiddenHornsRanch » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Every time you hear something from QDM, they say they are more about the small properties than the large arcrages...I manage 105 acres, that has a creek line, 2 hay fields, about 3 acres of cedars, and have a food plot about 3 acres big...its not easy to say the least especially with neighbors who have no concept of passing deer, but this year with a larger food plot I have seen more of the deer over and over, compared to previous years when I would see neighbors harvest them....I have finally been able to hold more deer to my area and they dont bed far from the food plot, it also helps to have running water...2 of us hunt on this property, and you wouldnt tell, I believe 4 hunters would be perfect for that property.
KINGSVILLE A&M JAVELINA

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:52 am

cdn1- Seems to me like you need no advice. IMO you got it figured out, enjoy the conservation and learn as you go.
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:49 am

98 acres is plenty to hunt for four of you, especially if you're willing to do some work to make it better.  My brother and I own 100 acres, three of us hunt the place and there are parts of it that we have yet to seriously hunt over the last seven years.  We even have some set aside as a sanctuary.  Enjoy the land and the sooner you get your plan in place the sooner you will reap the rewards. 
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

dxthunter57

Postby dxthunter57 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:54 am

another thing to look at is get people who are going to sit
i mean im not sure if im right but if one guy starts walking around your property he could very well screw it up for you guys also...i hunt on a private land only me and my dad are allowed on there and if one person goes for a walk in the woods we can tell by the reduced deer movement

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:36 am

I would say no walking would be the ideal choice, but I can't say that it would screw up the hunting on the place, unless that's all that's going on. 

I have game camera photos of me on an ATV and deer coming by 20 minutes later, so at least in our neck of the woods walking through might cause a minor, immediate disturbance, but I don't think it would result in any significant change an hour or so after the fact.  But that's just where I hunt, I can't say for anywhere else.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:54 pm

ORIGINAL: ranwin33

I would say no walking would be the ideal choice, but I can't say that it would screw up the hunting on the place, unless that's all that's going on. 

I have game camera photos of me on an ATV and deer coming by 20 minutes later, so at least in our neck of the woods walking through might cause a minor, immediate disturbance, but I don't think it would result in any significant change an hour or so after the fact.  But that's just where I hunt, I can't say for anywhere else.

Because my property is so small, I have declared almost the entire place a "no go zone". I only hunt the edges of it and only with the wind in my favor. The only exceptions are for the recovery of deer and mid/late winter woodcutting.

The biggest problem this creates for me is that my wife likes to come down and hike. She argues that it is just as much her property as it is mine and if she wants to take a walk in the woods, she can. Of course she is absolutely right, but I still manage to get twitchy when she does it. I'm a jerk, I know.

Thank God I have a nice stand of hickory right next to the cabin that allows me to take the kids squirrel hunting w/o disrupting much. I could not live with myself if I gave my little girl static about wanting to squirrel hunt during deer season.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:19 am

My brother tends to like to walk the woods about the second day of gun season - and I mean walk not still hunt.  Not sure why, but he does, and since he owns half the place I can't really say no.  Well I could, and he'd probably not do it, but hey, it's his place too, and he pretty much goes along with everything else.

You're a wise man when it comes to the wife.  I wish I could get mine interested in coming for a visit once in a while. Maybe when we get running water and a few more refinements.

Don't know about your place but the squirrels this year have been thick on ours.  On my walk back after a hunt I've taken to trying to put an arrow in one - I always carry an arrow or two with judo points.  I hope your daughter has better luck than me.
Aldo Leopold

impeach O

Postby impeach O » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:42 pm

develop the cover and bedding, ambush them on their way to eat the neighbors crops
my greatest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my hunting equipment for what she thinks I spent

wiqdma

Postby wiqdma » Sun May 23, 2010 5:24 pm

I would want to be the first to hunt it!!   If you only hunt the edges and play the wind, you may be able to be successful for a while..... Choose your partners wisely and make sure all of you are on the same page. Hoping for 4-6 year old deer might be pushing it unless you have 1000's of acres that you know they are doing the same thing.  We have every age group of bucks on our properties up to 6+ now, but it took 20 years of hard work and lots of help from the neighbors.

Good luck!

Previous

Return to QDM • Quality Deer Management