Anybody watching "Duck Dynasty"/

Off Topic is the place for anything that doesn't quite fit into the other categories.
Ohio farms

Anybody watching "Duck Dynasty"/

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:09 pm

I started watching it while ago, but I am hooked now. At first I kind of thought they were pretty weird (and they are), but now I see them as a very close knit family that cares about each other. Every episode ends with a "moral of the story".
You might want to check it out. It's on A&E on Wednesdays @ 10pm. Reruns are on an hour or so before.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Re: Anybody watching "Duck Dynasty"/

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:44 pm

I don't have a reliable TV service... I just put up a digital antenna and I get whatever is broadcast for free... but I have seen the show before. I really like the end of the show dinner scene as well.

Aside from the moral value, these guys are flat out hilarious. Maybe it's my hillbilly ancestry (my mom's side comes from the hills in MO and AK...and I claim my hillbilly blood with pride), but I find myself wishing I could go hang out with them. My favorite episode so far is the one where they have the donut eating competition and Si kicks their butts...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:55 pm

Have you seen the one where Willie and his brother are supposed to do career day at the school, but get Uncle Si and Phil to do it? Phil guts and plucks a duck in front of 4th graders. Uncle Si told war stories about Vietnam. The kids were totally grossed out, as was the teacher. I was crying laughing.
Willie's wife went nuts when she found out.
Phil showing his granddaughters how to skin frogs was hysterical.

Scoutfish

Postby Scoutfish » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:18 pm

I didn't want to like the show, but I couldn't help it.

heard my friends, my son and even my wife talk about it.

SO I watched one episode. It was amusing, but not much more>
Then one night when nothing else was on, I watched it 6 times back to back>

I like the show. I can't help it>

I told my wife that - not only can I related to them...I might even be related! :)

Jayce is my favorite and Uncle Si...well be honest...we all know somebody like him in . Probably a member of our family!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:53 pm

I agree. I didn't want to really like it either, but after a while I could not help myself. Even my wife got hooked.
They have a wesite that you can buy the blue plastic glass that Uncle Si drinks from. I'm embarrassed to say that I ordered it.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

Here's some trivia for you......

Did you know that Phil Robertson was old Steeler's quarterback Terry Bradshaw's college roomate at LSU?

I used to do a lot of duck hunting and I have an old duck calling instructional cassette (yes...I'm THAT old!!!) by Phil Robertson that was as entertaining as it was instructional. I also have two of his calls and they ARE good calls. But he claimed in his cassette that they wouldn't freeze up from your slobber when you were doing a lot of calling in cold weather. Well.......maybe what they consider "cold weather" in the bayou country, but up here in northern Illinois out on the river in late December I can GAR-ROAN-TEE that his calls will freeze up when it's 15 degrees and the wind is right in your face at 10MPH+!! Just the kind of day, BTW, for killing a pile of northern Mallards!

That's why I bought TWO of them!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:41 am

That's actually one thing I've never done as far as hunting goes. I've never had the chance to get out and do any waterfowl hunting. I've hunted pheasants, squirrels, rabbit, deer, fished for pretty much everything you can catch here in the Midwest, but never waterfowl.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:13 pm

I've done a good deal of waterfowling over the years. Lots on Lake Erie and some in the marsh. Mostly now I hunt geese and ducks on my picked corn field in layout blinds. Our farm lies about 2 miles from a refuge. Hunting birds on land removes the element of water which makes chasing cripples a lot easier. Duck hunting on water in December can be a real effort.
If you think that you have a lot of gear for deer hunting, wait till you get into waterfowl. There is no end to it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:51 pm

I too, am interested in waterfowl. I have the boat, the boat blind is nearly done, I have the tethered duck decoys, and goose shell decoys, but no dog or teacher. I may have to try it solo. :(
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 pm

"If you think that you have a lot of gear for deer hunting, wait till you get into waterfowl. There is no end "

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!! We used to have a small cargo trailer...A TRAILER...just for all of our waterfowl hunting gear!

An armored division is easier to transport and set up!!!!

If anyone wants any tips on building floating blinds or covering blinds with natural vegetation just ask!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Next

Return to Off Topic