HellRazor by NAP

northernVT

HellRazor by NAP

Postby northernVT » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:35 am

So I decided to try out the new NAP Hellrazor broad head this year. They had good reviews. I am a stuborn fixed blade shooter (used to shoot Muzzy religiously), even though there has always been a problem with fixed blades flying true. I was amazed at how well they grouped at 40 yards. I am not a 2 inch shooter at 40 yards, no matter how much I stretch the truth, but 4 inch groups were usual. This was very satisfactory for me.

When the true test came about in the stand, I guess I was lucky as hell. The morning hunt, at 9:00, a beautiful eight pointer came in at 25 yards. There was a tiny branch in front of me, but I thought I had plenty of room to clear it. When the arrow left the bow, my heart sank as my arrow veered off to the left from glancing the tiny branch and the 8 pointer went bounding off without a scratch. I sat there and stared at that branch for 45 minutes before I finally went and got a pole saw and cut that tiny branch off. I kept it to mount on my wall as this years trophy. Just as a reminder.

That evening, I went back to the same stand with little hope, but I had to. As I stepped onto the platform of the stand, I looked up and 50 yards away, through some brush, was the same 8 pointer. Standing there trying to figure what was making all that noise. Luckily enough for me, he had a doe in front of him that wanted to come into my food plot. He eventually followed her in  and stood broadside at 20 yards (not where I cut the branch). I let fly and the arrow hit it's mark. The hit was a little farther back than I wanted, which made me a little nervous, and the 8 pointer bounded out about 40 yards, stood there and began to wobble. He made two more bounds and hell over.

The shot was a complete pass though which took out two ribs on entry and the liver. I was amazed at the instant blood trail from a liver shot. I watched the buck drop, so tracking was not an issue.

Needless to say, I am impressed with these broad heads and will stick with them for a while.

kat750

RE: HellRazor by NAP

Postby kat750 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:22 pm

congrats on getting a 2nd chance at that buck! I know sometime when we use something that works good for so long its hard to make a change because I did the same thing, I went from using Muzzys for the last 15 years or more to a mechanical broad head, even though they shot like a field point at practice  I was worried  the blades would open in flight and throw my shot off because when I practiced with them I used fishline to keep them closed ,to make a long story short the broad head worked great I got a good lung  shot on a 6 pointer hit just were I wanted the hole going in was about the size of a nickel the exit hole was the size of a half dollar.

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:43 am

Hey Kat750,

Thanks. I know. I should get over my fear of the mechanical. There are soooo many success stories out there with them, but it is that one failure that scares me. Just the chance that I might wound a deer or have a long tracking job. I think I might try the Rage this spring for practice. That might convince me.

How has your season gone this year? Mine has been really slow in rifle. I got busted a couple of times in bow. Stupid rookie mistakes, but those wiley whitetails get me so excited every time and I mess up. Guess I don't ever want to loose that feeling though.

kat750

Postby kat750 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:13 pm

I'v had a great 08 season so far, I got a 6 pointer 135 pounds with a bow and a 7 pointer 175 pounds with a gun and Im happy as hell because its the first time I'v got 2 buck in the same season.

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:48 pm

Uhh...congrats on some great bucks guys, but I just stumbled onto the pics. I have no intreast in the HellRazor, I just looked atthis thread b/c I was bored.

Please post these pics on the "Post Your 2008 Harvest Pics" thread, so we can all enjoy them!

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:06 am

ORIGINAL: northernVT

So I decided to try out the new NAP Hellrazor broad head this year. They had good reviews. I am a stuborn fixed blade shooter (used to shoot Muzzy religiously), even though there has always been a problem with fixed blades flying true. I was amazed at how well they grouped at 40 yards. I am not a 2 inch shooter at 40 yards, no matter how much I stretch the truth, but 4 inch groups were usual. This was very satisfactory for me.

I've been using NAP "thunderheads" for years, and I am very happy with them on my arrows. The hellrazor is a improved version of the thunderhead, so thanks for posting your review. Have you tried to re-sharpen the one peice hellrazor broadhead? I'm interested in using the hellrazor multiable times to kill deer.  If they are as good as the thunderheads, the hellrazors could be used for several seasons of hunting.
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:05 am

Hey Eatdeer,

I mentioned in my story that my first shop went astray. Well, I found it buried pretty good in the dirt. Needless to say, it was not as sharp anymore. Back at camp, I just happened to have a stone for fixed blades. It is a double stone that puts a 20 degree edge on two blades at the same time. I ran the blade across the stone a couple of time for each blade and it came out sharper than new. The blades are pretty thick, so they will take quite a few sharpenings before they wear down. Mine will last several seasons for me, at least.

Hey JPH.

Thanks and I will post them on the other thread pronto! By the way, do you get bored often?

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:08 am

Hey kat750. You are having a much better season (in VT) the I am so far. It shows this year that I didn't get a lot of time to put into my hunting land.
Did you get an antlerless tag this year or are you done?

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:54 am

ORIGINAL: northernVT
Hey JPH.

Thanks and I will post them on the other thread pronto! By the way, do you get bored often?

...yes. [:(]

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am

Then you need to hunt more! 

Next

Return to Broadheads