dominance is everything

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Re: dominance is everything

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 am

Basically you make a scrape and a rub to the authors specs during the rut/pre rut and give the dominate buck time to find it, then hunt it for 4 days "all day" the way he tells you to . He has some not traditional thoughts/beliefs but I have known some other very successful hunters that think the way he does

See, right there, gets me thinking this ain't right.

1) I have wasted major parts of seasons close to THE BIG SCRAPE, only to have nothing show up.
2) I have taken THE BIG ONE on a couple of occasions, and seen THE BIG ONE taken on a couple more. These guys were out cruising around, probably walking miles in a 24 hour period. They left no discernible sign, except footprints
3) When I have seen rub and scrape activity all come together and produce bucks, they were by no means THE BIG ONE. I do not mean to sit my whole season waiting for a big-for-britches 6-pointer to show up.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

buckwild

Postby buckwild » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 pm

Isn't it interesting that the advocates of this wonderful system have 1 post each? (at the time of this comment) That info alone is suspect...

**Edit** - ok, so it looks like I am not the only one to make that observation!!
Semper Fidelis!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:43 pm

If all these guys endorsing this product have no financial gain to be made, why don't they offer some of the secrets up? They came off as just trying to be helpful, but offer no help other than to shill the product.
Swanie, If you learned more in one day at the seminar than you did in 50 yrs of hunting, you spent those 50 yrs not paying attention.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:57 pm

I still want to know how you know it's the dominant buck you are seeing and not just a "big 'un". How do you know? The ear tag? Microchip? Freeze brand? And how do you know that a nice buck you are seeing isn't the "dominant" buck but the #2 buck? Or #3?

Truth is, YOU CAN'T, unless you're hunting a captive herd where you know all of your livestock and have records on them.

I think it's more like if someone spends the money on this and then shoots ANY decent buck they are going to say they followed these instructions and they killed the "dominant buck" because they don't want to feel like they got hosed.

How would anyone know otherwise?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:39 pm

l've got Dr. Doolittle on speed dial... when a buck shows up, I call the good Doc, who listens to the buck's vocalizations over the line... Then he lets me know whether or not the buck is the dominant buck.

Ex: buck walks up to my scrape and says, "Oh wow, someone is messing with the big guy's territory, I'm getting out of here before he shows up"... not dominant.

buck walks up to my scrape and says, "oh man, I gotta find the a-hole who is moving in on my turf... thinks he can just start scraping wherever he pleases with no consequences"....dominant buck.

simple, really :D
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 pm

I always shoot the buck with ear tag #1. Nothing to it Woods.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 pm

So THAT'S it! Wow! And after all these years....why didn't I figure that out back in '68?

Ear tags it is!!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Woods Walker wrote:So THAT'S it! Wow! And after all these years....why didn't I figure that out back in '68?

Ear tags it is!!!!

yeah, it's a fashion statement. It was that or gauges, and I think those hoop ears destroyers look stupid. Besides, they can flick 'em for better fly swishing. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:55 am

That bit of secret information will cost you guys $50. No checks please.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:26 am

buckwild wrote:Isn't it interesting that the advocates of this wonderful system have 1 post each? (at the time of this comment) That info alone is suspect...

**Edit** - ok, so it looks like I am not the only one to make that observation!!

Thank you. Just for that, I have a Michael Kors Outlet golfer's handbag for you-- along with a pair of Nikes. Just tell HaoHao I sent you.

I even dispute the idea of the Dominant Buck. It makes it sound like deer engage in title bouts. They don't.

Truth of the matter is that a big buck, I mean a REALLY BIG one may not engage in any of the dominance squabbling at all. That may be what got him so big and old in the first place.

But let's say The Big One really is playing all the reindeer games. He gets the best of the #2 buck in nasty brawl, but now he's tired, scraped up, and sore. Now what? Do you think he's going to turn around and hit that scrape? Prolly not. At least not for a few days.

Now I have seen some big deer, and sometimes they do some big-deer kinds of things. The one I bagged in 2007 was big and mean and I was glad I was armed and up a tree when he came in. There were a few smaller bucks around that morning, and they were all cowering. But I have also seen a buck every bit a big as him run from a confrontation like his tail was on fire.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions