dominance is everything

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Re: dominance is everything

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:37 am

I agree with you on that one Shaman... I know I've read an article in the past that was talking about a "Bully Buck"... I don't remember if it was D&DH or another magazine, but the concept was that a lot times a buck that doesn't necessarily have a big rack will be very aggressive attitude.

My little brother shot a 6 point buck this year. This is a deer they are pretty sure is the same as one they have on trail cam from last year. It's a 3X3 rack with no brow tines, same as last year. The inside spread was about 14", and the longest tine was maybe 6". We figured the deer was 2 1/2 yrs old. My dad and brothers had seen this deer act just like what you would expect from the most dominant buck in the area: chasing does, tearing up trees, even chasing off other bucks that were older...

Like the saying goes: It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Re: dominance is everything

Postby kellory » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Deebz wrote:I agree with you on that one Shaman... I know I've read an article in the past that was talking about a "Bully Buck"... I don't remember if it was D&DH or another magazine, but the concept was that a lot times a buck that doesn't necessarily have a big rack will be very aggressive attitude.

My little brother shot a 6 point buck this year. This is a deer they are pretty sure is the same as one they have on trail cam from last year. It's a 3X3 rack with no brow tines, same as last year. The inside spread was about 14", and the longest tine was maybe 6". We figured the deer was 2 1/2 yrs old. My dad and brothers had seen this deer act just like what you would expect from the most dominant buck in the area: chasing does, tearing up trees, even chasing off other bucks that were older...

Like the saying goes: It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog

Absolutely correct. Deer are as different as people can be. You can't tell a bully or a coward, until the chips are down. Sometimes they will surprise you, and sometimes the deer will too. And just like people, sometimes the bully just hasn't tangled with anything larger yet. When he does, he'll change his attitude, or his location.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions