food/recipes

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
Sailfish

food/recipes

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:21 am

This is my current post a.m. workout meal:

6 egg whites 1 yolk
1/2 (dry measurement) cup of oatmeal, couple crushed walnuts, a sprinkle raisins/craisins, a few banana slices , dollop of honey and 1/4 cup fat free milk

low in fat and calories

a nice blend of protein and carbs to help muslce recovery after your workout as well as keeping you from getting large insulin spikes that can make you feel groggy and assisting with boosting your metabolism for the day.

Also if u do drink coffee, use fat free* milk and no sugar stuff.

I'll try to post some fun, fast, easy meals I make that are good for you but taste terrific too.

*Fat free milk in coffee has a "fat burning" (I think they call it exothermic) affect on your body, milk w/fat has the opposite affect (from studies I have read). Oh and the latest research shows no detrimental affects from LARGE quantities of coffee, in fact its extremely beneficial to your long term health!!! Sans the jittery, difficulty sleeping issues some people have.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

JPH

RE: food/recipes

Postby JPH » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:43 am

Great idea Sailfish! A welcome addition to the health/fitness board. I have to admit that I have a poor diet and I often wonder how much better I would do in terms of fitness if I ate better. Please post your thoughts re. diet freely!

Sailfish

RE: food/recipes

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:28 am

My favorite healthy lunch --->Turkey Pita:

Takes a little prep work so I don't do it all the time, but well worth the effort

Buy a cooked turkey breast

Hand chop or use a food processor depends on how you like it. Hand chopped is bulkier and requires less mayo, foor processor will make it finer, but more mayo is needed (more surface area). I food process.

Put meat in mixing bowl
add lower fat mayo (or fat free) to taste (couple tbsp probably; keeping in mind we want healthy [;)])
add perhaps 1/2 - 1 tsp of Spike (once again this is to taste I never actually measure the stuff)
mix

For whatever reason (and I have tried tons of different ways, crackers, breads, wraps, etc) this goes best in an onion pita, but if you want more healthy go with the whole wheat pita.

Slide in a couple slices of tomato (TIP:tomatoes added to sammiches and what not allow you to not need quite as much mayo, since it adds to the moisture content, and smoothness of the overall sammich) and a piece of leaf lettuce (red or white) and enjoy.

Makes about 4 servings +/- depending on the size of breast
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness