Coyotes hurting deer population

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
bowman_ks1

Coyotes hurting deer population

Postby bowman_ks1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:56 pm

I've noticed an extreme increase in my coyote population in the past couple years. Along with the coyote increase is a decrease in deer. I've attributed it to the coyote population and also EHD that plagued us this past year. We occasionally coyote hunt and have some success, but I need a better solution. I'm looking into begin trapping on the farm and have been looking for some insight. I stumbled onto this video that does a lot of explaining of the coyote trapping process. http://themanagementadvantage.com/home/ ... -business/ For those of you that trap, is this good info? The only thing I'm wondering is what different types of baits do you use?

oletimer

Re: Coyotes hurting deer population

Postby oletimer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:06 pm

I don't trap but here is an interesting article on fawn predation.

http://www.growingdeer.tv/view/2012/12/ ... predation/

He claims 60% of the fawns are taken by coyotes ?? Seem a bit high to me.
lead follow or get out of the way

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 am

We shoot them.
THe rancher where I hunt has been on them hard the last few years. Finally the numbers are down. I think I found 1 on one of my camera's all year.
Used to hear them yippy and yappin in the wee hours, not so much anymore
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:49 am

I'm in exactly the same boat... last time I checked my camera I only had 7 vids instead of the usualy 20-30. Only 1 was a deer (i got the left half of a young buck), 2 were squirrels/birds, and the other 4 were coyotes... The last time I bowhunted my timber the only thing I saw was a coyote bedded down just out of range of my bow...

I'm thinking i need to buy a .243 and a predator call
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

bowman_ks1

Postby bowman_ks1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:25 am

I'm going to combo the trapping with the hunting. Took one out last night with the .243. 2 minutes after turning the caller on he came running and got popped. Hit the distress call right after and saw four more sets of eyes just inside the woods, but they wouldn't come out. So 1 down with many more to go!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:39 am

Good for you. Go get'em! I just found a tanning method for rabbits and deer. Feel lik making 'yotey-rugs?;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Coyote hunting is my next venture. They are overrunning the property where I hunt. I even had one run up on me. I would be interested to see a way to get them by trapping, but for now we've bought a rabbit call and we have the AR and the .270. Trouble is, they are reproducing unchecked. We need to get out there and really put a dent in their population. Also, using the rabbit call is difficult. I need to practice up. Are there any other hunting methods for them aside from calling?

Kellory, could you share your tanning process? Should I get one of these things, my 11 year old son has insisted upon having the pelt.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

bowman_ks1

Postby bowman_ks1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:09 am

They get smart quickly when getting called at. That's why were are moving towards trapping.

1-GTOHunter

Postby 1-GTOHunter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:54 pm

We've been after the Coyotes steadily for the past several years,we've been calling them in and taking several out!Since we started Coyote/Predator Hunting we've gained several nice big parcels of Land to Hunt from the surrounding Farmers and the Deer and Turkey Hunters to thin them out,we even hit some Public Land to give our spots a rest so the Coyotes don't get wise to Us!

Trapping is a easier and quicker method to thin the Predators out,with traps being out 24/7 You have a better chance of catching something You have to do a lot of work cleaning them and staying scent- free and learning to make sets in order to catch anything and with most Laws You have to check them within a certain time period....hard to do this if You have a full time Job!

Most Hunters can and will shoot a Coyote with just about any Caliber Rifle/Gun but if Your goal is to save the hides,have an Animal Tanned or Mounted or give them to a Trappper and do less damage a lighter caliber is the way to go!You can even take a few smaller Caliber Rifles and use a lighter bullet to do less pelt damage!

Here's a list of a few I would reccomend...and as I mentioned a lighter bullet or one with a ballistic tip will expand on impact and hopefully do less damage with good shot placement!There are few more I probably left out and there's several larger Calibers that many Hunters use for long distance shots which is fine...Hunt or shoot with what You want,but I'm trying to list what Calibers will work well and do "Less" damage on a Predator!Shot placement is everything and a good clean Ethical Kill is what we should strive for.If Your Hunting Bobcat or Foxes a smaller caliber it going to be the best to save on the furs/hides!

.17 Fireball
.17 HMR
.17 Hornet
.20 VarTarg
.22 WMR (Magnum)
.22 Hornet
.204 Ruger
.22-250

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:43 pm

Folks around here that get overrun by yotes put out a bowl of stew meat soaked in antifreeze....Ya gotta put it where neighborhood dogs and cats won't get it.....

If you're really populated with them, shooting doesn't effect the population....Kind of like trying to control rats by shooting them. Fun, but a waste of time for control...

Next

Return to General Discussions