Multiple Deer in a herd with different colors

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ifishandhunt

Multiple Deer in a herd with different colors

Postby Ifishandhunt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:42 pm

I shot a big doe with my 870 this fine morning! She was one of about 7 doe in the herd that she was in. Her winter coat was gray and so were a few of the other does with her. But there were a couple does that were chestnut brown. Why different colors? This time of the year I usually see the deer coats gray. I was surprised to see two other big does being brown in a group of gray coated deer. I did not see antlers and these deer were withing 40- to 50 yards from me.

kellory

Re: Multiple Deer in a herd with different colors

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Ifishandhunt wrote:I shot a big doe with my 870 this fine morning! She was one of about 7 doe in the herd that she was in. Her winter coat was gray and so were a few of the other does with her. But there were a couple does that were chestnut brown. Why different colors? This time of the year I usually see the deer coats gray. I was surprised to see two other big does being brown in a group of gray coated deer. I did not see antlers and these deer were withing 40- to 50 yards from me.

Well, some girls are vain about their appearance, and others aren't. Or she ran out of her "natural instincts hair coloring by Clairol". You might try leaving some out for the rest of the ladies, might be a good draw....And because there is no food value, not bait either! ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Yep i have notice that too, I blamed the drought but have nothing to base that on. Could be just the age class of the deer were seeing? But for the little i understand deer biology KEl is probably closer to the answer than I am.

BTW I have noticed this in deer coats in both the city and country deer I have been watching or scouting.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 pm

Could it be because it's been so warm maybe? I have no idea. The does I saw yesterday were all brown.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:28 am

Simple genetics... that's akin to asking why people have different hair/eye/skin color...

Any population will have a natural amount of variation in certain phenotypic qualites (what they LOOK like) based on their genotype (what their DNA and genes code for)... We see this all the time in antler size and formation in bucks. I think if you really looked at lots of pictures of deer, you'd see a lot more variation than you originally thought existed.

**sorry for the technical terms, I'm a science teacher**
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Each deer is an individual. They may not appear to vary as much as people do, but they vary more than a casual look will reveal. Color can vary a lot. It's often subtle, but also clear.

Steve.
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Ever see five sisters all with brown hair? How many different colors of brown are there? Same with deer and it is esepcially true with bucks. Often, age has a lot to do with it.

Return to General Discussions