What's your favorite program for hunting?

Tips on how to keep yourself in top form for the hunting season.
JPH

Re: What's your favorite program for hunting?

Postby JPH » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

I agree with you Healthy Outdoorsman, and nice job on the video. Circuits are a great way to increase work capacity, decrease body fat and maintain muscle mass. I'm also a big proponent of bodyweight exercises. I use both as mainstays of my regimen.

That being said, I have actually brought longer endurance work back into my routine (as noted previously). I'm not a crossfitter but I did spend several years borrowing heavily from their stuff, as well as programing developed for combat athletes. What I learned was that if you continually train yourself for 20-30 minutes of intense work, your body will adapt to exactly that. Eventually I found myself sucking wind when the situation required ongoing endurance for an hour or more. Rob Shaul (of MountainAthlete.com and MilitaryAthlete.com) has addressed this quite well in some of his writing. After looking over his stuff, and looking my own deficiencies straight in the face, I responded by increasing my loads on strength days and increasing my mileage on running days.

Not a knock on circuits at all. I am a huge proponent. Just additional food for thought. Good conversation!

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:33 pm

Great advice guys ...i think both of you are way more advanced than i am,but i am always looking for new ways to stay healthy and fit...

I do enjoy free weights even after yrs of lifting...i am interested in all aspects of cardio ,but running long distances and even a mile jog aggrevates that hip....one deep leg press with 400lbs on the sled wrecked me good...it was a dumb move and i have never felt the same...this was many yrs ago...

I like the ''killers'' is what we called them in high school sprinting back and forth and touching the line...this doesnt bother my hip...neither does riding a stationary bike or the machine that is like cross country skiing...i also appreciate the input on the exercises without any equipment and any cardio /endurance routines-Thanks-Jon~

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:57 am

Keep doing what you're doing jonny5buck! It sounds like it is working for you and that is all that matters. We all carry around our own individual likes, abilities and limitations. Funny, as I age, coming to grips with the limitations (often caused by injury) seems to be more and more important. I guess they call that maturity.

I'm a fitness nerd. When it comes to this stuff (and hunting) I could talk the ears of a brass rabbit. But reading books about fitness, typing about it on the net, or running one's mouth in the gym does not make one advanced. Doing the work does. Many of the fittest people I know have very little "knowledge" about fitness. They simply find things they can do safely, and enjoy doing and do them a lot. Sounds like you fit that description.

Healthy Outdoorsman

Postby Healthy Outdoorsman » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:18 am

JPH wrote:Keep doing what you're doing jonny5buck! It sounds like it is working for you and that is all that matters. We all carry around our own individual likes, abilities and limitations. Funny, as I age, coming to grips with the limitations (often caused by injury) seems to be more and more important. I guess they call that maturity.

I'm a fitness nerd. When it comes to this stuff (and hunting) I could talk the ears of a brass rabbit. But reading books about fitness, typing about it on the net, or running one's mouth in the gym does not make one advanced. Doing the work does. Many of the fittest people I know have very little "knowledge" about fitness. They simply find things they can do safely, and enjoy doing and do them a lot. Sounds like you fit that description.

Couldn't have said it better!! :)
If a man speaks in the woods and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

http://www.healthyoutdoorsman.com

DanburyBowhunter

Postby DanburyBowhunter » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:20 am

Johnny5, if you have the opportunity, try swimming. It should be easier on your joints.

I forgot to add to my post above I'll also fin (swim using legs only while wearing fins) to work my core and upper legs.
It is a hard heart that kills. If your killer instincts are not clean and strong you will hesitate at the moment of truth.

Christopher

Postby Christopher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:34 am

I must confess i discovered a lot, I never got scammed into steriods.. and always was satisfied with my outcomes..this is a excellent platform but as we age ..me included-- I discovered that the everyday tolls can be dangerous, and have modified accordinly.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:07 pm

I quit smoking, so when I would normally go outside from work and smoke, I power-walk in the building. Others do it, so I don't stand out. I am getting back into jogging to then get me back into running. I am really fine-tuning my diet as well.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Previous

Return to Hunter Health & Fitness