Notes from the field...

DeanoZ

Notes from the field...

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:40 am

Was hunting my scrape line yesterday afternoon hoping my 8 point would re-appear.  No such luck, I rattled and threw in some grunts, not a deer in sight.  I know yesterday was the full moon so maybe that had something to do with it.  Strange really, I've not gone a hunt without seeing at least something, shooter or not.  Saw a small 8 on the drive out but thats it.  Going to try a different spot this afternoon where I saw another recent scrape, nice funnel on an inside corner, seen lots of does in the field at dusk so hoping big pappy is in trace chasing!  Seen a lot more roadkills lately so their definately moving!

DeanoZ

RE: Notes from the field...

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:14 am

Gave the scrape line a rest, I'll revisit that area on Friday.  So I focused on another location, the inside corner of a field at a particular point where the corrador narrows due to some train tracks about 100 yrds in.  Plenty of sign, a well worn trail, and a fresh scrape.  Unfortunately the winds shifted and were not in my favor, and I jumped a small heard of does grazing in the field as I entered.  Figured that about shot my chances, but I figured I'd try my luck.  Set out a wick with Estrus about 30 yrds down wind of me and placed a few drops in the scrape, did some grunting as well.  Heard a lot of crunching all around me and ended up having two small does walk under my stand, but that was about it.  Still think this is a good spot and will be once the chasing is in full swing as there are always Doe in the fields.  In general the Does were moving around yesterday...still not a lot of evidence that the chasing phase has started in my area.  Next few days should tell for sure.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:36 am

Ok its on!!!!  Definately more deer moving around...the does are everywhere and right behind them I saw a few bucks.  Nothing noteworthy, but it was interesting to see more bucks.  So the rut and chasing is definately on in Jersey, or at least the part I hunt in.  Went back to my primary scrape site even though the wind was partially in my favor (out of the NNW).  I saw two new HUGE scrapes and tracks from a fairly large buck..I'm guessing a 10 pointer.  The scrapes had debris and pine needles kicked 5 feet beyond the edge of it so what ever was tearing it up has to be big right?  Was a very quiet morning...kicked one up on the way in and then silence until 0800.  Then i heard something to my rear and so as not to have a repeat performance of my last 8 pointer sighting I was continously looking over my shoulder..and as I'm now focused to the rear I hear a light "snap" of a twig to my front (which is now my rear..confusing right, lol?)  and wouldn't you know it...another smaller 8 pointer came screaming in...he apparently caught wind of my scent wick and before i knew it he was about 10 yrds from my stand and too close to even react.  He got spooked and took off before I could even draw.  Thats twice now that a shooter has come within spitting distance of that stand and I was unable to react...going to have to change tactics.  The stand I'm in does not allow me to see into the sandy lot their crossing to get to me.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:25 am

The last week has been a mixed bag of sorts.  Deer (does) are definately moving...see some buck chasing but not a lot and not exactly the picture that comes to mind when we talk about rut activity...perhaps I've been watching one too many episodes of ESPN's "Driven to Hunt"  boy that Tom Miranda sure makes it seem like bucks are going bonkers during this time.  Well in my area, you would not really notice it except for the sign left by the bucks (Scrapes).  After my last 8 pointer encounter where I got busted i decided to change up tactics.  for starters i picked a new tree to hunt from, one that will give me better visabiltiy to the deers approach.  I also came across a another good scrape about 500 meters from the primary scrape site.  i followed the path from hence it came whcih brought to another similar clearing and secondary scrape site.  So I decided to hunt that stand on Saturday morning.  Conditions were windy, but it did not take long for things to heat up.  At 0700 I heard a distinctive snap and readied myself.  Sure enough the first 7 pointer I saw a couple weeks ago came straight into the scrape about 15-20 yrds off my right.  Was sure if at first he was a shooter until he walked right in front of my stand.  so I started to draw back and as I bent at the waist and brought the bow down there was a distinctive metal on metal clank of the cam wheels on the bow hitting the metail rail on my tree stand.  Needless to say I was busted (again!), the buck darted off, along with my shot opportunity.  Following that i saw a bunch of does, another buck in the distance to which i grunted and bleated but he kept right on going.  Then i saw the craziest thing, out of nowhere two doe come racing by mystand, one was chasing the other in circles around my stand...and they had no idea I was there.  Never seen that before so if anyone knows what thats all about let me know.  hunted the very same After 0900 there was no more activity in that stand and the winds were kicking!  Got out of that stand at noon, got some lunch and headed to spot where I took my first game cam pic in hopes of hooking up with the 8 pointer.  No such luck, saw a doe and she busted me about 50 yrds from my stand.  Then nothing else for the rest of the day.   The wind for sure kept them bedded down.

Hunted the same spot today, and no activity whatsoever...Wednesday I'll be going back to the old stand...want to mix things up and keep them guessing.

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:49 am

Deano, even though we are a state apart I have been getting the same results. The "rut" this year hasen't been much of a rut here in Westchester County. Deer movement has been slow all year. Good luck getting that 8! He will mess up eventually![;)]
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:48 am

Thanks Wayne, good luck to you too!  yeah its just weird...I expected to see more movement, and I'm not complaining about the 7 and 8 points I've seen thus far, but I've seen no spikes, no forks, not even a 6....so where they all at?  Be interesting to see what happens in the next week as the rut starts winding down...maybe they'll surprise us and start coming out of the woodwork!!!  Deer do the damnedest things!!!

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:17 am

We'll see. I plan on hitting it hard the next few days. 
WayneL
NY Hunter
Check out my hunting reports, pics and videos at:
http://westchesterbowhunting.wordpress.com

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Ditto,

this upcoming week is the last week before firearms opens in Jersey.  Once the orange army comes out the deer usually hunker down, patterns change dramatically amd its much harder to track them.  So best I take advantage of the tail end of the rut and hunt as much as I can between now and next weekend.  Good luck to you as well!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:55 am

Hunted  the stream that runs through a draw yesterday...winds were not not condusive to hunting more productive spots.  This was my third time hunting this spot, which by all acounts looked as if it would be productive, but its not.  Seen a couple doe and aside from the nice buck I caught on camera a couple weeks ago.  Frustrating because you know its one of those spots that deer should be funneling through..the sign is there, just the deer aren't.  Could be the rut and pressure of muzzleloader season.  Scouted out a couple new positions which have some promise, just waiting to verify with the trail cam.  Deer are still scraping so thats a positive sign...deer are still in the rut, but we are quickly approaching the post rut...should be interesting once shotgun season opens on Monday.  All bets are off when the orange army approaches!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:26 am

Well the winds were right so I went back to my second favorite scrape location.  Thought it was going to be a great day, and as I'm walking to my stand "SNORT"...busted, and I hadn't even got to my stand yet...the snorting went on for 5 mins and at that point i knew it was going to be a fruitless day.  Got on stand and thought I heard some  rustling in the distance but did not see a damn thing all day.  Was quite frustrating, but the entire woods were quiet...did not hear one gun shot or anything.  Its obvious the deer are changing things up, just tryign to figure out how...but they are continuing to work the scrapes and saw a couple new ones in the general vicinity...the question is if they are working them at night or very early/late in the predawn/dusk hours.  My sense is for the most part they are changing their routes and sneaking through the thick stuff to get to their bedding areas.  I have a couple ideas for some new stand locations to take advantage, but with shotgun season starting on Monday, I'm not sure it will do me any good.  Ultimately I will probably place my stand in a funnel (near the saddle where I took the cam pics) and hope that the pressure and orange army push them my way come Monday morning

Next

Return to New Jersey